printed in adequate/requisite numbers

hectacon

Hindi
While the whole world was closely watching the US election, the people of the world largest democracy was distracted by something else.

The Indian government before demonetizing the 500 and 1000 rupees note should have ensure sufficient availability of new notes. People have to stand for hours in queue .

New notes should have been printed in adequate/requisite numbers so that sufficient new notes are available to the people.

I have one confusion, should I use adequate or requisite here?

• Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Adequate means big enough.
    Requisite means what somebody asked for (from require).

So I think you need adequate here, because until there's a demand, you wouldn't know what was requisite.

The Newt

English - US
    MW simply defines "requisite" as "needed for a particular purpose," and I don't think there has to be an agent who "requires" what is needed. (Etymology isn't destiny.) But "requisite" is a somewhat obscure word, so I would agree with Keith and go with "adequate" (or "sufficient").

Keith Bradford

English (Midlands UK)
    Etymology isn't destiny, true. But the fact that the words require (= want, need), requisition (= order, demand) and request (ask for) all exist leads this person's thoughts at least to the existence of an agent who wants something and asks for it. Of course, that agent could be the finance minister, not the average Indian citizen; but the fact seems to be that they didn't ask for enough in advance.

< Previous | Next >