Prior To Arrival

USER1

SPANISH
What´s The Meaning Of "prior To Arrival" In This Sentence:

Cancel Anytime Prior To Arrival

• j0ckser

Canadian English/Canada
    it seems like an odd way of phrasing it. usually there is a timeframe prior to arrival to cancel so you don't have to pay a penalty. often the context will dictate the correctness of the phrase.

e.g., you must cancel your reservation 24 hours prior to arrival or your credit card will be charged for the...

paulvial

j0ckser said:
    it seems like an odd way of phrasing it. usually there is a timeframe prior to arrival to cancel so you don't have to pay a penalty. often the context will dictate the correctness of the phrase.

e.g., you must cancel your reservation 24 hours prior to arrival or your credit card will be charged for the...
    well it may be "odd" to you because you are used to see a notice , however it is not an odd way to phrase it , just a way to give a different information : which in this case is that you can cancel at any time before your arrival
    at least that is the way i see it
    hope it helps
    WR Rule #22 - Except as a topic of discussion, chatspeak and SMS style are not acceptable. Members must do their best to write using standard language forms. <<This includes using capital letters where appropriate.>>

USER1 said:

This doesn't make sense to me. Surely it should be "Cancel anytime prior to departure."

Even that doesn't make sense. Say you had booked an air ticket which you wanted to cancel. Airlines would require at least 24 hours notification.

If you were airborne you couldn't say to the steward, "I know we haven't arrived yet, but I wish to cancel my reservation. You said I could, anytime prior to arrival."

I think I'm going mad. :warn: :( :confused: :eek: :D

LRV

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I agree with Charles. However, we are all just guessing, because we have been given no background or context, which makes this little more than a guessing game.

USER1, Welcome to the forums!

Please take a few minutes to review the forum rules. They may be found at the top left of the screen: Rules/FAQ.

They request context. They also ask that members not type in
    ALL CAPITAL letters. Your post seems to have been written that way, and converted By The Software To Something Like This.:)

Best regards,
    Cuchuflete

USER1 said:

We definitely need more context USER1.

Google has 7,680,000 hits for your phrase. From a cursory glance they are all related to booking accommodation. Most establishments require at least 24 hours notice of cancellation should circumstances prevent you from occupying your reserved accommodation. This enables them to give your booked room to another guest. If you cancel on the day of your planned arrival you may expect to be charged a fee. This information would have been given to you at the time of booking under "Terms and Conditions".

It is a poor business person who would allow you to cancel "anytime prior to arrival" without charging you a fee.

Is this the context of your question please?

Thank you.

LRV

< Previous | Next >