pris d'assaut

patbas

French, France
Hi.
I know there has been two posts about "prendre d'assaut" but none of them , in my view, gives a satisfactory translation of this phrase. I suggest to look at it from the view point of "pris d'assaut". The context can be diverse but means the same thing. Mine is : "L'atelier a été pris d'assaut par les étudiants". It can be : "Le concert a été pris d'assaut par les amateurs" or "La boutique a été prise d'assaut par les clients".
"Invaded" or "assaulted" is not exactly the same meaning, I believe. Is "taken by storm" correct in this context ? That would give : "The workshop was taken by storm by the students" :confused:
Thanks in advance

• Kelly B

USA English
    Could you please describe the tone of the expression in the context you have in mind? How does the speaker feel about these students/music lovers/clients?

Last edited:

christelleny

French-France
    My Harper Collins Robert gives the following example:

Les librairies étaient prises d'assaut = People flocked to the bookshops

"Hit", "swarm" and "storm" also come to mind, as suggested by Kelly B in this earlier thread.

But as Kelly B mentioned, tone can influence meaning.

patbas

French, France
    Could you please describe the tone of the expression in the context you have in mind? How does the speaker feel about these students/music lovers/clients?

The tone here is neutral (mere observation) or rather positive. It is not negative.