Prisioners' welfare

Xavier da Silva

Hello everyone,

In Brazil if someone commits a crime and is sent to prison, their family (wife, children, etc) are entitled to a monthly money aid - if the prisoner is registered - working on the books, before they commit the crime. My question: Is there such a "monthly money aid" in the USA or UK, for example? I thought of "prisoners' welfare". Does it exist?

Thank you in advance!

• Hermione Golightly

British English
    I've never heard of any special benefits for the families of prisoners. We have an extremely complex system of social benefits in the UK for families and individuals. Any of those benefits might be affected by the detention of a family member depending on individual circumstances.

I don't think that a term such as 'prisoners' (familes') welfare' exists in the UK, in this precise benefits context, because I doubt there are any 'special benefits' as such. Existing benefits might change, if a tax-paying wage-earner is imprisoned for example, and there is no regular income for their dependants. That destitute family would need to apply for whatever they are entitled to.

Last edited:

RM1(SS)

English - US (Midwest)
    I've never heard of any special benefits for the families of prisoners. We have an extremely complex system of social benefits in the UK for families and individuals. Any of those benefits might be affected by the detention of a family member depending on individual circumstances.

I don't think that a term such as 'prisoners' (familes') welfare' exists in the UK, in this precise benefits context, because I doubt there are any as such. Existing benefits might change, if a tax-paying wage-earner is imprisoned for example and there is no regular income for their dependants.
    Same thing on this side of the pond.

< Previous | Next >