Prit-ty good [pretty]

< Previous | Next >

Riccardo91

Italian
Dear English forum,

I'm translating a cartoon for children about cooking, and I'm stuck on the following sentence.

Well, whatever it is they have down there, it sounds prit-ty good!

It's said by the "evil character" who's trying to understand what special dish the main characters are cooking. The voice actress marks the work prit-ty very much, stressing the pause.

Is there some pun I'm missing in it? Thank you very much!

• The Newt

English - US
    It may be an allusion to Larry David's character in Curb Your Enthusiasm, who often uses the phrase and pronounces it with a peculiar emphasis. How old is the cartoon?

kentix

English - U.S.
    It's just a way of spelling out the pronunciation and rhythm of how she says "pretty good".

(Of course, everyone pronounces pretty as pritty.)

natkretep

Moderato con anima (English Only)
    English (Singapore/UK), basic Chinese
    Is this an American cartoon? It could be emphasising that a clear /t/ sound is used, as opposed to a voiced consonant used in most American accents, and this can signal a British accent. In American cartoons, evil characters sometimes speak with British accents.

Riccardo91

Italian
    The cartoon is American, yes. And it's new: the episode I'm working on now will air in the USA next week or so.

I've checked Curb Your Enthusiasm, and I don't think it could be a reference to it. Probably it's just a matter of pronounciation or British accent, as the other ones are saying. Anyway, if there's no pun in it it's not so relevant to me.

Thank you very much!

< Previous | Next >