Private prosecutor

krissmix

Italian
Good day WR,

I'm translating a court order where the attorney for the People is referred to as Private Prosecutor.
Is there an equivalent position in the Italian legal system aside from the "pubblico ministero"?

Thank you for any insight on this matter.

• Teerex51

Italian
    Hi Mary, your link makes no mention of "avvocato di parte civile", and rightly so.

There's indeed no correspondence between an Italian attorney and a Private prosecutor, as there exists in the Philippines—which is what I believe Krissmix is referring to.

Italian prosecutors (PMs) are the only officers who can initiate (and carry through) legal proceedings, either following a complaint by a private citizen or acting on charges brought by law-enforcement agencies.

krissmix

Italian
    Thanks for your help,
    however I ended up using a very generic term since I was pressed for time: "L'accusa"
    The thing that threw me off was that the private prosecutor was assigned (or hired by the complainant) to represent The People of the Republic of the Philippines.
    Unfortunately I often do translations under time pressure as we offer express translations services upon request, for an additional fee of course :D

Last edited:

Teerex51

Italian
    ... we offer express translations services upon request, for an additional fee of course :D
    Way to go, Krissmik.:cool: Pro bono work is overrated anyway.

Translating the Philippines' private prosecutor into Italian is no mean feat. I suppose "l'accusa" is an entirely workable solution. (It sure beats "privato ministero" :D)