privatisation, déprivatisation

• Focalist

European Union, English
    OlivierG said:
    Isn't the "z" spelling the American way for writing it ?
    It is, but it's also the British way. In GB both "z" and "s" are used (deprivatization OR deprivatisation). The Oxford University Press (and I) prefer "z".

BTW, deprivatization equals not nationalization but renationalization:

"Although the majority of people favour deprivatization, the government has said no to renationalization of the railways".

F

beri

France
    I can remember that there are "public companies" and "state-owned companies"
    dunno if that piece of info changes anything, hope it helped

Felix

England, English
    A word of warning, on privatisation v privatization. It may be that the OE regards both as correct, but the vast majority of British speakers would see 'privatization' as a spelling mistake.

We Brits are becoming increasingly defensive of our language (which I am sure the French can relate to) and of our old (illogical) spelling. Use of American spelling does cause documents, CVs and letters to be poorly regarded in the UK

Welshie

England, English
    bargallo said:
    :D What's the english for privatisation et dèprivatisation Please! :cool:

Privatisation is privatisation
    Deprivatisation is nationalisation ( usually REnationalisation because most major industries used to be nationalised here :))

Focalist

European Union, English
    Felix said:
    A word of warning, on privatisation v privatization. It may be that the OE regards both as correct, but the vast majority of British speakers would see 'privatization' as a spelling mistake.

We Brits are becoming increasingly defensive of our language (which I am sure the French can relate to) and of our old (illogical) spelling. Use of American spelling does cause documents, CVs and letters to be poorly regarded in the UK
    Felix, the OED does not merely "regard both as correct": it prefers -ize, always putting it before -ise, on the grounds of its Greek derivation. The Times newspapers and the majority of UK academic publishers also prefer -ize.

-ise is a later Frenchification - yes, widely adopted in GB, especially in the popular press - but the fact that -ise is popular in the UK does not make -ize "an American spelling". As for "the vast majority of British speakers would see 'privatization' as a spelling mistake", the majority would also see "supersede" as a spelling mistake, but they would be wrong.

a counter attack against what he sees as the assault of the current Italian government, by means of privatization, on the vast archaeological, artistic and architectural inheritance of the Italian state (Times Literary Supplement, London)
    The country has been a pioneer of privatization programmes since the early 1990s [...] policies directed at fostering decentralization, privatization, and the reconstruction of the regulatory system (University of Oxford School of Geography)
    Now if that had been American, it would have been "privatization programs", not "privatization programmes" -- the latter is perfectly good British-English spelling.

F

Focalist

European Union, English
    Welshie said:
    Deprivatisation is nationalisation ( usually REnationalisation because most major industries used to be nationalised here :))
    Always renationalization.

Deprivatization is nationalization, but a special case of nationalization: the taking back into public ownership of businesses formerly privatized. The businesses (such as railway companies) nationalized in Great Britain in 1947-48, for example, were formerly private, not privatized, as they had never previously belonged to the nation.

F

Felix

England, English
    Forum,

I hesitated before posting this quote as you are obviously a regular poster. I do so because of personal experience in writing documents in the UK.

To verify that my feelings were correct I ran both terms through Google, restricting the results to UK only. There were 221,000 for privatisation compared to 46,500 for Privatization, the first of which was from the Guardian Heading ‘The privatisation of war’. Seeing your post I also checked the times on line, no results for Privatization verses several for privatisation.

Focalist said:
    The Times newspapers and the majority of UK academic publishers also prefer -ize.

... As for "the vast majority of British speakers would see 'privatization' as a spelling mistake",

I am not a strong defender of particular ways of spelling things, but from living in a foreign country myself I know that it is important to fit in with accepted norms (even if those norms may not be technically correct). I stand by my warning that ‘the vast majority of British speakers would see 'privatization' as a spelling mistake.’ And suggest individuals speaking English as a foreign language make up their own minds