Prize/award

Syngamus

Spain, Spanish
Hola!
¿Hay alguna diferencia entre prize y award, cuando nos referimos a un premio o reconocimiento científico?
Muchas gracias

• LauraK

American English
    Hmm... I can't think of a black-and-white difference. With the exceptions of the Nobel Prize and the Pulitzer Prize, "award" is more commonly used for professional or diplomatic achievements. Outside of those and other proper nouns I may be forgetting, I think "prize" is more commonly used for things that are not earned by professional achievement but simply by attending a party (a "door prize," a cheap little gift you win by participating in a raffle or if you won charades, etc.), or at a fair or carnival where they give out prizes in contests involving food or farm animals. So if you're referring to professional recognition such as in the sciences, it's usually best to go with "award."

Lis48

English - British
    There is I think a small difference e.g.
    The teacher announces: "Whoever runs the fastest in the race will get a prize." The children will expect a packet of sweets or a book token etc. if they come first.
    The teacher announces: "Whoever runs the fastest in the race will get an award." The children will expect a certificate to say they win.

EddieZumac

English/Spanish
    There is I think a small difference e.g.
    The teacher announces: "Whoever runs the fastest in the race will get a prize." The children will expect a packet of sweets or a book token etc. if they come first.
    The teacher announces: "Whoever runs the fastest in the race will get an award." The children will expect a certificate to say they win.
    Excellent examples.

< Previous | Next >