Pro-zoom trips (Football terms)

creosote

Russian
Hello, everybody!

Need help with these american football terms. Just for a layman to get a general idea, no need to get into details or explain terms using other terms, please.

"All right. Pro-zoom trips, deep route, slant slim boogie on my count. Ready? Break."

Source: Fired Up! 2009 movie.

• Packard

USA, English
    Deep route and slant out are terms I've heard. The others sound like inventions. "Slant Slim Boogie" is the name of a rapper.

Myridon

English - US
    In American football, these instructions given in a huddle are often in a "code" in case the instructions are overheard by the other team so the exact meaning is not necessarily something that can be known.

creosote

Russian
    In American football, these instructions given in a huddle are often in a "code" in case the instructions are overheard by the other team so the exact meaning is not necessarily something that can be known.
    Thanks, I didn't know that.

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    This a quote from what the team leader (the quarterback) said to everyone else in a "huddle". A "huddle" is the offense team gathering in a small circle, so the leader can tell them what the next play will be. Every offense team has a set of plays that they use, and options within those plays. All the team members have memorized those plays and options, since they must all work together. The plays change from year to year, or more often.

In a huddle, time is very short. The team only has 40 seconds from the last play ending to [1] get together in a huddle, [2] get instructions, [3] end the huddle and move to their starting positions for the next play, and [4] be motionless in those spots, [5] start the next play.

So in the huddle, the leader must tell everyone the next play in just a few seconds. In the huddle, every team leader uses his own slang terms. There is no standard meaning for anything he said, other than "Ready? Break". That means "Everybody ready? End the huddle."

Last edited:

dojibear

English - Northeast US
    I think "pro-zoom trips" is code or slang for "play number 13". Please refer to the team's secret book of plays for details.

By the way, the description of play #13 in the playbook is hundreds of words long. After all, it has to give complete instructions to 11 different players about everything each one of them has to do. And it includes pictures and diagrams, because otherwise it would take many more words.

Even the starting line-up (where the players stand, motionless, to start the play) is different for each of the plays.

< Previous | Next >