Why Not?

German
Hi All,

is there any difference in meaning or style between the two expressions:

"the problem remains unsolved"

and

"the problem remains unresolved"

?

(The problem I am referring to is a theoretical one, if that information matters.)

Thank you in advance,

regards

Why Not?

• Smudgette

English, England
    I think this is a fascinating question. The two words are pretty much interchangeable these days, but if there is any difference, it might be that 'resolved' means 'find a solution' and 'solved' means to work out an answer. I would use 'solve' in a direct sentence, and 'resolve' in an indirect one.

I solved the problem
    The problem was resolved.

Does this make sense to anyone?

dn88

Polish
    To me, there's no difference in meaning, however, I'd say that "unresolved" seems more formal. Let's see what others say.

nichec

Chinese(Taiwan)/English(AE)
    According to doctionary.com:

explained or answered; "mysteries solved and unsolved; problems resolved and unresolved" [syn: solved] [ant: unresolved]

I really don't think there's a huge difference here. But I prefer "unsolved" myself.....(simply because I'm too lazy and this is shorter:eek::D)

maybe you are here from "Unsolved Mysteries". According to the wikia of the series "Unsolved" means that was not solved at all, not any advance nor any clue, and "unresolved" means that some things were found and, sometimes, could be considerated as "solved" but still not enough evidences to be called "solved" finishing in an end road.

< Previous | Next >