problem to enact

rzezucha

polish
My problem is whether the word problem can be followed by the infinitive or maybe it is better to say problem in doing something:

"In this case, any intervention that supports the interaction between explicit intentionality and the implicit experiential system (i.e., the self) should alleviate problems to enact unpleasant instrumental behavior. "

• rzezucha

polish
    to be honest I'm a bit lost here, I think I don't understand this sentence correctly. It is taken from an article in psychology which is written in an academic language so probably it is correct but somehow I can't get it.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    Very, sorry Rzezucha.I cannot get it either. Unfortunately I think it is written in a very pompous language, probably to hide the imperfections of the content. To enact refers to my intervention to alleviate problems, not to problems, in my opinion.

rzezucha

polish
    You might be right so maybe it would be better to use e.g. 'in order to enact'. Anyway my question was more about whether we say 'I have problems doing something' rather than 'I have problems to do something'. Just like 'I have difficulties (in) doing something' rather than 'I have difficulties to do something'.

LilianaB

Banned
    Lithuanian
    I have a problem with something, is more usual, I think. I have a problem to walk up the stairs, sounds fine. I have a problem with walking, sounds good too, to me.

PaulQ

Banned
    UK
    English - England
    The author seems to have plucked words out of a technical dictionary in the dark whilst drunk. It might help to have the paragraph before this example in order to understand the context, nevertheless,

"In this case, any intervention that supports the interaction between explicit intentionality and the implicit experiential system (i.e., the self) should alleviate
    problems to enact unpleasant instrumental behavior. "

It probably means: In this case, any intervention ... should alleviate problems in order to enact unpleasant instrumental behavior. "

< Previous | Next >