problemas con los gentilicios

Cranky

Spanish
¿Alguien me podría inicar como formar gentilicios de topónimos españoles en inglés?
Concretamente, el que necesito es aragonés, pero me gustaría saber si se puede aplicar algún tipo de regla general (aparte de citizen of Aragon o similar, me refiero con una sola palabra :rolleyes:)
Gracias por vuestra ayuda :)

• lauranazario

Moderatrix
    Español puertorriqueño & US English
    Hola Cranky,
    Tu pregunta es básicamente de índole gramátical, así que voy a trasladar este hilo al foro correcto. ¿Vale? :)

Saludos,
    LN

Edwin

USA / Native Language: English
    Cranky said:
    ¿Alguien me podría inicar como formar gentilicios de topónimos españoles en inglés?
    Concretamente, el que necesito es aragonés, pero me gustaría saber si se puede aplicar algún tipo de regla general (aparte de citizen of Aragon o similar, me refiero con una sola palabra :rolleyes:)

Según Merriam-Webster Online citizens of Aragon son Aragonese. (I would have guessed Aragonian or Aragonite ---interestingly aragonite is the name of a mineral found in Aragon.) Googling on Aragonese shows many uses of this word. It is also the adjectival form: The Aragonese People are said to be Aragonese.

Main Entry: Ar·a·gon
    Pronunciation: 'ar-&-"gän, -g&n; "ä-rä-'gOn
    Usage: geographical name
    region NE Spain bordering on France; once an independent kingdom capital Saragossa
    - Ar·a·go·nese /"ar-&-g&-'nEz, -'nEs/ adjective or noun

sendai

USA/English
    Cranky said:
    Justo como en español, no hay ninguna regla, pero hay algunos sufijos que sirven para esto con frecuencia:

er New Yorker
    an Mexican
    ese Japanese

Edwin

julius_dgreat said:
    If you don't mind what does "los gentilicios" means? I am a beginner sorry. thanks.

Gentilicio is the name of the inhabitants of a country: por ejemplo: El gentilicio de los nacidos en España es Español.

So the gentilicio of the people from Mexico is Mexicans. Apparently we don't have a corresponding word in English. I think this has been discussed before in the forum. But, it seems to be a fairly common word in Spanish.

jay35300

Banned
    Asia-English and Esp
    sendai said:
    Justo como en español, no hay ninguna regla, pero hay algunos sufijos que sirven para esto con frecuencia:

er New Yorker
    an Mexican
    ese Japanese

I hope you wont mind me asking, are you a japanese? Your username sounds Japanese.

sendai

USA/English
    jay35300 said:
    I hope you wont mind me asking, are you a japanese? Your username sounds Japanese.
    No, I'm not Japanese. :) I chose this name at random. Turns out, though, that it's the name of a city in Japan.

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    I don't know of any rule either. Before moving to Maine, I thought the locals were called maniacs, but now I find I'm a Mainer. What should one call a resident of Sheepscott Village? There is no local term for us, so we simply say that we are
    'from Sheepscott' and that is met with either a knowing shrug, or a question, "The Village?" I'm always tempted to reply, "I surely don't mean from the river of the same name!"

I would add to Sendai's list of endings...
    ard
    iard

cheers,
    Cuchu

Edwin

cuchufléte said:
    I would add to Sendai's list of endings...
    ard
    iard
    and I'll add one more

ite

as in Wisconsinite.

That's the reason I thought of the erroneous Aragonite.

There are also the irregulars ones:

English or Englishman from England
    French or Frenchman from France
    Swiss from Switzerland
    Filipino from the Philippines
    Unfortunately Chinaman is now considered pejorative. I thought it was just quaint, but a Chinese friend told me that he thinks it is insulting.

And has been discussed in several fora hereabouts, for people who live in the USA there is only American (or Yankee or North America or gringo?) Too bad we don't have an analogue of estadounidense (now that I've learned to pronounce it, I like it :) )

cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    mjscott said:
    Okay, Cuchuflete, what is Milwaukee native called?
    --a Milwaukeegan?
    --a Milwaukegger?
    :rolleyes:

MJ,
    I couldn't handle the question, so I left when I was three years old!
    I was once a fan of the Milwaukee Braves [formerly the Boston Braves!], but they moved the team to Atlanta. It just got too confusing.

It may be best to retreat to that old standby: from.

C-

alc112

Argentina Spanish
    Adejetivos gentilicios irregulares

alta Verapaz (guatemala)---> Verapacense
    Babahoyo (ecuador)---> abahoyense
    Bucaramanga (colombia)---> bumangués
    Buenos Aires---> bonaerense, porteño
    Cabo Gracias a Dios (El Salvador)---> Costeño del caboa
    El Callao (perú)---> chalaco
    Colón (ecuador)---> Galapaguino
    coronel Oviedo (Paraguay)---> ovetense