problems with phrasal verbs

annief88

Poland Polish
hi:)

I got stuck with 3 sentences:

1. If I ever catch you cheating ... me with another man, we're finished!
2. We had a couple of dates but I went... him when I realised how stingy he could be.
3.It's a year since his wife left him but I don't think he's got ... her yet.

possibilities: on, for, out, off, over, up...

thanks for help!!

• lexicalia

American English
    We had a couple of dates but I went... him when I realised how stingy he could be.
    Chesty gave the answer as "off".
    "I went off him when I realised....."

This must be British, because in American to "go off" something means to stop using something, like cigarettes or drugs or sugar. "I went off sugar after I found out I had four cavities." But it certainly wouldn't be used to talk about stopping seeing someone, as in this case.
    I was thinking the answer could be "I went off on him...", which (at least in American) means to verbally lay into someone, to yell at someone, to strongly exress anger to someone, etc. But I suppose that would be an extreme sentence!

MissFit

Chesty gave the answer as "off".
    "I went off him when I realised....."

This must be British, because in American to "go off" something means to stop using something...
    Yes, this must be very British. I hear it all the time in the British comedies I watch on PBS, but I never hear it here in the U.S. It means to lose interest in something that you liked, or to begin disliking something you used to like--especially a person.

< Previous | Next >