procedure <of> using batteries and steel wool <making> <to make> fire

< Previous | Next >

corner1912

Chinese
Hi guys:

Could you please tell me Is this sentence "The picture shows us a procedure using batteries and steel wool making fire" correct?

Should I add an "of" after"procedure"? Is there any differences between these two expressions?

Should I ues "to make" instead of "making" when I describe a procedure?

Thank you for your help in advance! Any suggestions would be appreciated.

• Logos_

English - America
    I would write: "The picture shows how to make a fire using batteries and steel wool."

I would not use "procedure." It is redundant.

kentix

English - U.S.
    Logos_'s sentence is better but in your original you are right that you really need to change "making" to "to make". If you follow the procedure you will make fire.

corner1912

Chinese
    Logos_'s sentence is better but in your original you are right that you really need to change "making" to "to make". If you follow the procedure you will make fire.
    That is exactly what I want to ask. So even when I describe a procedure in a picture I still need to say "using something to make something" right?
    Is there any usage of "using something making something" in English?

And also, if i want to say "The picture shows us a procedure of making fire" ,
    is the preposition "of" necessary or optional here? If "of" is necessary here, would it be better if I use "of " in my original sentence ?

Thank you for your help, kentix !

Logos_

English - America
    If I wanted to use "procedure" I would write: "The picture shows a fire making procedure (or technique) using steel wool and batteries."

"Making fire" is unidiomatic in this context. For this specific situation I would stick to "how to make a fire," "for making a fire," or "fire making."

corner1912

Chinese
    If I wanted to use "procedure" I would write: "The picture shows a fire making procedure (or technique) using steel wool and batteries."

"Making fire" is unidiomatic in this context. For this specific situation I would stick to "how to make a fire," "for making a fire," or "fire making."
    That explains a lot and is really helpful to me. Thank you again Logos_ :D

< Previous | Next >