procedure (to execute & to repeat)

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
Hi,

Let's say I have a "procedure" of 5 steps. How do I say:

procedure
execute (do) this procedure
repeat this procedure

In theory, I would hope that a specific context is unnecessary--I'd like to be able to say this about any procedure. But if it will help, the context is about how to install a drive belt onto a machine, and the installation contains various "procedures," which in turn are described in steps. Some of the procedures must be done more than once. My try:

Verfahr
Führen Sie dieses Verfahr aus
Führen Sie dieses Verfahr noch einmal aus

• Kuestenwache

German-Germany
    Verfahren
    Führen Sie dieses Verfahren aus/durch
    Führen Sie dieses Verfahr noch einmal aus
    is possible but I would suggest:
    Wiederholen Sie das Verfahren
    By the way a procedure is rather "eine Prozedur". "Das Verfahren" is more a method. "Verfahrensweise"-"a way to do something". It is not wrong to use Verfahren in your context of course. A "Verfahren" can incorporate many "Prozeduren".

Welshie

England, English
    Maybe:

Verfahren
    Verfahren ausführen.
    Verfahren wiederholen.

Unless you are giving a direct order to someone, I guess using the infinitive is better, no?

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    Thanks. This related thread explains the context a little more. It is a (re-) tightening procedure for the installation of a drive belt--Montage von Antriebsriemen und Spannungsprozedur ?

So I will use:

Prozedur
    eine Prozedur aus- / durchführen
    die Prozedur wiederholen / noch einmal ausführen / noch einmal durchfürhen

I had wondered whether Prozedur would be better, but I'm alway unsure of using Latinate words instead of Germanic words, since often they seem to be synonymous and the Germanic word is more common/easily understood.

Kuestenwache

German-Germany
    Where at the Germanic version of "Prozedur" (lat. procedere)would be rather "Durchführung" than "Verfahren", at least that is the closest to direct translation.

brian

AmE (New Orleans)
    True, but a lot of the definitions I saw for English composite terms like ____ procedure were of the form ____verfahr in German. That's why I thought *Verfahr was the appropriate word for procedure.

berndf

German (Germany)
    To my knowledge, "_verfahr" does not exist, only "_verfahren". Where did you find that.:confused:
    There is "Verfahr_" as in "Verfahreinheit" but that is a different word. It is derived from the verb verfahren in the sense of to move.

sokol

Austrian (as opposed to Australian)
    I like "Prozedur", and at least in Austria the Latin noun also is still used frequently - that is, "das Procedere":

Procedere
    Procedere ausführen
    Procedere wiederholen

Personally I prefer "Procedere" because to me "Prozedur" sounds somewhat - well: banal :D - but that's probably just me and "Prozedur" might work fine for most people.

< Previous | Next >