Proceed / go ahead / forward!

Saleh Al-Qammaari

Egypt/ Arabic
Hello all,

What is the best or most appropriate word should I use when I describe a leader shouting at his soldiers to proceed?? I thought of "proceed", "go ahead" and "forward!", what do you think of using one of these words?

Your inputs and participations are highly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Crystal :)

• cuchuflete

EEUU-inglés
    Hello Crystal,

A military leader would use different terms on a parade ground and in a combat setting. In the first, he would say something like "Forward" or "Forward march!". In a battlefield situation, it's more likely, in AE, that he would say "Let's go!" or simply "Go!".

Thomas Tompion

English - England
    Hello Crystal,

A military leader would use different terms on a parade ground and in a combat setting. In the first, he would say something like "Forward" or "Forward march!". In a battlefield situation, it's more likely, in AE, that he would say "Let's go!" or simply "Go!".
    At the Battle of Waterloo the Duke of Wellington is said to have shouted to the troops: Up guards, and at 'em!

This command was disastrously and unintentionally glossed by a schoolmaster friend of mine whose pupils told me that he had said to them, when they were proving shy about greeting some girls who had come by coach to a school dance: At boys, and up 'em!

Packard

USA, English
    "Forward" or "charge"

'Forward, the Light Brigade!
    Charge for the guns' he said...

Tennyson

< Previous | Next >