Produce results in [synonym for achieve?]

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
Hi teachers,
Will you consider 'produce results' an appropriate synonym for 'achieve' in the following sentence?
You won't achieve anything unless you take risks.

Thanks in advance.

• Trix19

English - UK
    "Produce results in" would suffice as a synonym. "Results" in itself could mean positive ones or negative. In the context it is perfectly clear what you mean, and it's usually used to mean positive ones anyway, unless prefaced with "devastating", for example in a news item. If you're making a choice between the two, I would go with "achieve" because the word itself has a positive air to it, so it seems to reinforce the message of the sentence and make it more persuasive.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    Hi Trix19,
    Thanks for your reply.
    I'm not making a choice between the two. in fact, I wanted to know if that was an appropriate explanation for the verb in the given context.
    It is to be explained to my students.
    :)

TS

wandle

English - British
    If I wanted to replace the phrase 'achieve anything' with a phrase using 'produce results', I would say 'produce any results'.

However, this alters the sense somewhat. Generally, we use 'achieve' for some goal seen as a single aim, usually a large one. We speak of results when we refer to specific outcomes which may be large or small.

Tenacious Learner

Spanish
    If I wanted to replace the phrase 'achieve anything' with a phrase using 'produce results', I would say 'produce any results'.

However, this alters the sense somewhat. Generally, we use 'achieve' for some goal seen as a single aim, usually a large one. We speak of results when we refer to specific outcomes which may be large or small.
    Hi wandle,
    Thanks for your help.

TS

< Previous | Next >