Product equities / corporate equities

< Previous | Next >

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
Hi there! I've looked up the word "equity" in every dicitonary I came across, but couldn't make any definition fit this context: This was written about a product, under the section "equity components":

Product Equities
Banana • Fruit • Tropical • Fun • Fresh • Healthy • Snack • Sweet • Good Tasting • Quality • No Fat/No Cholesterol • Outgoing

Corporate Equities
Blue Label • Global Recognition • Over 55 Years as a Leading Brand • Strong Brand Identification • Enviable Total Awareness • Miss ChiquitaTM • ChiquitaTM Jingle

Could anyone offer any suitable suggestions for this context?

Thanks!

Mara.-

• Janey UK

Native speaker of British English
    This sounds more like the word "qualities" than the word "equities" to me. In english we talk of the qualities of something - so the qualities of a grapefruit include such characteristics as that it is round, yellow and a citrus fruit. We would refer to a corporate entity and say that its qualities are that it is blue chip, long established, market focused and so forth.

Equity is a coprporate context usually refers specifically to the amount of capital subscribed by ordinary shareholders, ie. its equity share capital.

Hope that helps,

Jane

riglos

Argentina - Spanish
    Yes, Jane. In fact, that helps a lot. So, would I be right in saying that this is not a usual context for the word "equity"?? I mean, here, it seems that it's equivalent to "assets" / "values" (though intangible ones) or, as you said "qualities".

Thanks!

Mara.-

Janey UK

Native speaker of British English
    Yes Maria, this is not a usual context for the work equities. In the examples you've given, (banana, fruit, tropical, blue label, global recognition etc) these are the innate qualities or characteristics of the object.

Equity is usually used only in a couple of contexts, primarily when we talk about fairness or justice - so that we say something is equitable (fair) or inequitable (unfair) - this derives from equity law, which is one of the two main English legal systems. So to say someone behaves equitably means they act fairly.

The other use of the word equity derives from corporate law, and refers to the total assets of a company after its liabilities have been taken into account - i.e the amount remaining for its ordinary shareholders.

Jane

< Previous | Next >