produit pour que ce générique soit fiable

< Previous | Next >

Carnetita

England
Il suffirait que la direction de la concurrence fixe la composition du produit pour que ce générique soit fiable pour les consommateurs

En effet, le distributeur economise, ce faisant, le coût de la marque qui, au prix de la minute de publicité à la télévision pour savoir qui lave plus blanc, représente une bonne part du prix de vente.

• Carnetita

England
    fetchezlavache said:
    why don't you give it a shot carnetita ? don't be shy and let us know what you came up with... then we can help better ! :)
    i have tried that's why I posted the request!

Carnetita

England
    1. In order for this generic to be reliable for the consumer, the management of the competitor would need to agree on the ingredients of the product

2.In fact by doing this, the distributor makes a saving, making the cost of the brand which at the cost of one minute of television advertising just to know which brand washes whitest, represents a large part of the sales price.

sophievm

France - français
    amha la direction de la concurrence ce n'est pas l'équipe dirigeante de l'entreprise concurrente mais un service de l'Etat garant des règles de la concurrence

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    An imperfect translation, but it's a start. Dubious translations are in red:

Carnetita said:
    Il suffirait que la direction de la concurrence fixe la composition du produit pour que ce générique soit fiable pour les consommateurs
    It would suffice that the bureau of competition (??) set/fix the composition of the product for this generic medicine to be relied upon by consumers.

Carnetita said:
    En effet, le distributeur economise, ce faisant, le coût de la marque qui, au prix de la minute de publicité à la télévision pour savoir qui lave plus blanc, représente une bonne part du prix de vente.
    In fact, in this way the distributer economises on the cost of the brand, which, with the price of the minute of television advertising to figure out which one washes whiter, represents a large part of the sales price.

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Hi Carnetita,

Here's my take on your sentences--see what you think:

1. Il suffirait que la direction de la concurrence fixe la composition du produit pour que ce générique soit fiable pour les consommateurs.
    1. In order for this generic to be reliable for the consumer, the management of the competitor would need to agree on the ingredients of the product

All that would be necessary to gain consumer confidence in the generic brand would be for competitors to list all the ingredients of their products on the label.

2. En effet, le distributeur economise, ce faisant, le coût de la marque qui, au prix de la minute de publicité à la télévision pour savoir qui lave plus blanc, représente une bonne part du prix de vente.
    2.In fact by doing this, the distributor makes a saving, making the cost of the brand which at the cost of one minute of television advertising just to know which brand washes whitest, represents a large part of the sales price.

Indeed, by doing so, the [generic-brand] distributor would save on the expenses of brand-name advertising since the one-minute television spot to prove that it gets clothes the whitest represents a good chunk of the product's retail price.

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    Careful, it is direction de la concurrence, not just concurrence (competitors). This refers to the government agency in charge of enforcing competition and fair trade law.

sophievm

France - français
    In fact in most cases I've heard "direction de la concurrence" and not the entire thing. About Carnetita's text, I think she's trying to translate into English, isn't she ?

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    Merci Sophie-qui-n'est pas J-M et J-M qui n'est pas Sophie ;-)

So...how can the French governmental agency-- la direction de la concurrence or DGCCRF (au choix)-- be translated into English that would be understood in context?

Jean-Michel Carrère

French from France
    IMHO, it should not be translated since it is the name of an official government agency. However, you may want to explain the term in plain English either in the form of a parenthesis or in a footnote, if only to show you know what you are talking about and why you left it in French.

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    If it were a similar phrase, I think it could be translated, but since it's quite different, I agree that the name of the institution should be kept in the original. However, I'm still not sure if Carnetita is talking about a French institution in her original post.

la grive solitaire

United States, English
    So, perhaps instead--

1. Il suffirait que la direction de la concurrence fixe la composition du produit pour que ce générique soit fiable pour les consommateurs.

All that would be needed to gain consumer confidence in the generic brand would be mandatory governmental labeling* of the ingredients in brand-name products.
    (*in France, by the Direction de la Concurrence, de la Consommation et la Répression des Fraudes [DGCCRF]; in the United KIngdom, by the Office of Fair Trading [OFT], in the United States, by the Food and Drug Administration [FDA]).

< Previous | Next >