Profanar una tumba

Trestle

Español
¿Cual de estas opciones es mejor para traducir "profanar una tumba"? No aporto contexto porque solo es una simple collocation.

1.to desecrate a tomb
2.to defile a tomb
3.to profane a tomb

También, ¿cual de esos tres verbos tiende a decirse más? Sospecho que profane como verbo es poco frecuente.

• Dosamuno

English, USA
    "to desecrate a tomb" is the most common expression.
    "Defile" or "profane" are synonyms of "desecrate" and are possible but I can't say I've ever heard them used.

Posted simultaneously with Gengo's post.

Dosamuno

English, USA
    The more common phrase heard these days is “to vandalize a grave.” Desecrate seems more specific as to motive or effect.
    Interesting.
    Although it's not clear from the definitions, I think there is a difference in meaning—vandalism is deliberate and malicious while desecration may be the result of accident and/or ignorance.

Definition of desecrate
    transitive verb
    1: to violate the sanctity of : PROFANE
    desecrate a shrine
    a cemetery desecrated by vandals
    2: to treat disrespectfully, irreverently, or outrageously
    … the kind of shore development … that has desecrated so many waterfronts …
    https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/desecrate\

Definition of vandalism
    :
    willful or malicious destruction or defacement of public or private property
    Definition of VANDALISM

gengo

American English
    The OP wants to translate profanar, so let's see what the DRAE says.

1. tr. Tratar algo sagrado sin el debido respeto, o aplicarlo a usos profanos.
    2. tr. Deslucir, desdorar, deshonrar, prostituir, hacer uso indigno de cosas respetables.

Those definitions encompass all the English words suggested here so far. I would say that defile and vandalize both involve physical alteration (damage) to the grave/tomb (such as graffiti, breakage, or theft), while profane and desecrate can extend to non-physical things (such as having a party on the grave, playing happy music there, or the presence of someone who was hated by the deceased).

In short, as usual, the best choice of word depends on the exact context.

Dosamuno

English, USA
    The OP wants to translate profanar, so let's see what the DRAE says.

1. tr. Tratar algo sagrado sin el debido respeto, o aplicarlo a usos profanos.
    2. tr. Deslucir, desdorar, deshonrar, prostituir, hacer uso indigno de cosas respetables.

Those definitions encompass all the English words suggested here so far. I would say that defile and vandalize both involve physical alteration (damage) to the grave/tomb (such as graffiti, breakage, or theft), while profane and desecrate can extend to non-physical things (such as having a party on the grave, playing happy music there, or the presence of someone who was hated by the deceased).

In short, as usual, the best choice of word depends on the exact context.
    I agree.

I would add that profanar in Spanish, as well as desecrate, defile, and profane in English have a connotation of an action that violates religious taboos not present in vandalize.

Brimstone

México Spanish
    Profanar una tumba es perfectamente normal. Es totalmente entendible y su uso, sin embargo, no está ampliamente extendido, sino que se encuentra restringido a los medios de comunicación y a personas con cierto nivel académico. Pero aun así, lo repito, es absolutamente entendible y su uso está extendido. Más popularmente, se dice: abrieron una tumba o robaron una tumba. Vandalizar es otra opción.

< Previous | Next >