Profesor Superior de Piano

< Previous | Next >

Nuwanda02

Spanish - Spain
Hey guys!

How would you translate the degree "Profesor Superior de Piano" in ENglish? Could you help me?

Thanks!

• Ushuaia

castellano rioplatense
    I´ve seen "Superior Piano Teacher", mostly in cv´s by Spanish speakers.
    The problem is, most degrees are hardly standardised and they vary notoriously from place to place. My suggestion is: whatever your lexical choice, don´t forget to mention the conservatory where you studied, thus making it clear that in your country that´s an actual degree.

Saludos.

Nuwanda02

Spanish - Spain
    Hey!

"Profesor Superior de Piano" es el título/grado que se obtiene al finalizar los estudios superiores de dicho instrumento, equivalente a una licenciatura (Bachelor's degree). En algunos países europeos se obtiene directamente el título de Bachelor in (Piano, Violin, Music...) y en Estados Unidos el título es directamente el de licenciado. En España el título que se obtiene NO es el de licenciado pero el título de "Profesor Superior" es equivalente, a efectos legales, al de licenciado, aunque no lexicamente porque los estudios superiores de música NO se estudian en la universidad.

Espero que haya dejado claras las dudas sobre el significado del rango "profesor superior". ¿Alguna otra sugerencia?

Gracias

odnalro

English (American) and Spanish (Puerto Rico)
    You really have to do your homework in order to determine whether a particular Grado or Título is potentially equivalent to any other credential within Spain (or, by extension, to credentials in the US or other countries).

For example, the Título Superior de Música is generally considered to be equal to a Título de Licenciado in Spain, according to the Spanish legislation regarding a particular institution and their offerings. I am not sure if this is also the case with the Título de Profesor Superior. The Spanish Ministry of Education (and local government) resources are extensive and often helpful, but they do not always directly address the type of credential you are looking for. Or, you might feel like you're looking for a needle in a haystack. Sometimes, you will need to contact the conservatory itself and/or the MOE or local government in order to get a clear answer. Don't force yourself to guess based on incomplete information. Every case should be given the same high attention to these details, especially if you are responsible for making these types of equivalence decisions in your profession.

< Previous | Next >