Proficient/proficiency

María Madrid

Banned
Spanish Spain
Context: Job offer, the language requirements section

Is it ok if I say the following?

English: Proficient

Would it look odd? Is this the normal way to express it, or should I say something else? Like proficiency in English.

I'm supposed to be as brief as possible, due to space limitations in the ad.
Thank you very much for your suggestions! :)

• maxiogee

Banned
    imithe
    I think that most people would think themselves proficient until they see it written down as a requirement.
    You have probably chosen a good word to separate the struggling from the skilled. If they are in doubt they will probably check with a tutor or more fluent person.

However, do you need to discriminate written English from oral English? Does the job require one more than the other? It might be best to specify.

María Madrid

Banned
    Spanish Spain
    Thank you for your suggestions.

However, it's not up to me to write the ad, only to translate it. I just wanted to make sure this is the expression you can normally find in a job ad in English. They wrote that expression in Spanish and my job is to write it in English expressing just the same idea, just as concrete or vague the original was.

Besides, I understand that being proficient in a foreign language implies just that: being proficient in all areas. My experience is that you can't be proficient in one area and bad in others.

Of course we all understand expressions that we'd never be able to ellaborate ourselves, and it's also easier to understand when reading, than listening but, again, it's implicit. Thank you all once again! :)

< Previous | Next >