profiter pour

Dapoint

French
Hello,

How do you translate "profiter pour" in this context?
"J'ai profité que le four soit chaud pour réchauffer la pièce."

My shot :
"I have taken advantage that the oven is hot to warm up the room."

If it's wrong, could you please avoid to change the syntax, except if it is not possible to do without it ? Thank you very much. I would like to know a general expression of "profiter pour" I can use in other context as well.

Thank you very much for your answers and to help me and the other people who want to know.

Dapoint

• Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    "I have taken advantage that the oven is was hot to warm up the room." :tick:
    or "… to warm the room up"

"I took advantage of the fact that the oven was hot to warm up/heat the room" :tick:

I think both are good and have their own merits. Well done Dapoint, you were extremely close.

CDHMontpellier

USA-English
    "I have taken advantage that the oven is was hot to warm up the room." :tick:
    or "… to warm the room up"
    I don't think we'd use this formulation in AmE; I think we'd say either "I have taken advantage of the fact that" or "I have taken advantage of the hot oven", but not "advantage that"... hmmm...

Dapoint

French
    Maybe you both are right; you can likely say "to take advantage that" and "to take advantage of the fact that", according to the American English language or the British English language. I am not sure, but I suppose it.

Thank you CDHMontpellier and Teafrog.

Teafrog

UK English (& rusty French…)
    I don't think we'd use this formulation in AmE; I think we'd say either "I have taken advantage of the fact that" or "I have taken advantage of the hot oven", but not "advantage that"... hmmm...
    My brains must have been in neutral (or reverse)! You are absolutely correct CDHMontpellier. "To take advantage that" is wrong; I apologise to everyone for my short-circuiting" :eek::eek:.
    To take advantage of something (such as… a fact that… ) :tick:

Sarah_C

England, English
    You could use the gerund instead of a noun if you want: I took advantage of the oven being hot to warm up the room

< Previous | Next >