profound solitude

< Previous | Next >

Oswinw011

Chinese
THE LOCK AND KEY LIBRARY THE MOST INTERESTING STORIES OF ALL NATIONS Edited by Julian Hawthorne
Disembarking at St. Pierre, he took lodgings in a remote part of the suburbs. The profound solitude which reigned there did not at first bring the consolation he had sought. It was not enough that he had left his native country, he would have changed the planet itself;
Hello,
What does the bold phrase mean? he was a russian nobleman who lost his wife when she was in her flower of beauty. To console himself, he moved to a remoter and rural place where he was far removed from the people, in a profound solitude.

Last edited:
  • Uncle Jack

British English
    It is an intensifier, and I don't think has any particular meaning, and "profound" might be replaced with "deep" or "extreme".

"Reigned" seems an odd choice of word; surely it was only him who was in solitude, not everyone else who lived there.

Oswinw011

Chinese
    It is an intensifier, and I don't think has any particular meaning, and "profound" might be replaced with "deep" or "extreme".

"Reigned" seems an odd choice of word; surely it was only him who was in solitude, not everyone else who lived there.
    I see. Thank you.

< Previous | Next >