programme d’aide à la création dédié à la photographie

Discussion in 'French-English Vocabulary / Vocabulaire Français-Anglais' started by Beemouse, Oct 22, 2013.

1. Beemouse Member

Paris, France
    English (Canada)
    Hello!

The title says it all[most]. I need to translate the following sentence :

"Le xxxx a lancé en 2008 un programme d’aide à la création dédié à la photographie contemporaine".

I can only think to write "The xxxx launched a programme in support of contemporary photography.", but I would like to include the notion of creation. I don't want to write "...in support of the creation of contemporary photography" because using the noun "creation" for photography seems incorrect to me.

Do you have any ideas?
    Thanks!

2. Beemouse Member

Paris, France
    English (Canada)
    Hmmm, how about this:

"The xxxx launched a programme in support of creation, dedicated to contemporary photography.". A literal translation, but it works, non?

3. bing181 Senior Member

France
    English (Australian)
    Not sure of the context - what you're translating this for, but I'd go for something like your first proposals. I understand that that omits "creation", but it's a word that in this context, doesn't have a direct equivalent in English. If you want creation in there, you perhaps need to look at phrases like ".... a program for the creation of contemporary photographic works" or even "... a program to support the creation of contemporary photographic works".