programs will lead to higher test scores among at-risk students

dec-sev

Russian
Hello.

Crictics however say that such programs will lead to higher test scores amoung at-risk students.

The sentence above is from an article titled "Should students get paid for good grades". It's about about a pilot program that is probed in some schools in Texas; students who have good attendance records and get good grades are paid.
My question: who are at-risk students and why are higher test scores considered to be a bad consequence of the program?

• sdgraham

USA English
    "At-risk" is U.S. educational jargon for students with a wide variety of problems who are the most likely to drop out of school before finishing high school.

Critics, however say that such programs will lead to higher test scores among at-risk students
    I am as mystified as you are. Might there be more explanation?

dec-sev

Russian
    Thanks, sdgraham.
    I was thinkig about something similar. It´s the only mentioning of "at-risk students" in the article. I don´t have it at hand how but as far as I can rembemer the previous sentence was about possilbe pluses of the program and the sentence that followed that of at-risk students was something like "besides students may want to study to get money rather than for the sake of knowledge".

Myridon

English - US
    We don't know without the full context what the "critics" are criticizing. The critics may point out a positive aspect of a program that they otherwise find to be bad (which may explain why the "however" is there).

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Crictics Critics however say that such programs will lead to higher test scores amoung among at-risk students.

The sentence above is from an article titled "Should students get paid for good grades". It's about about a pilot program that is probed [?] in some schools in Texas; students who have good attendance records and get good grades are paid.

My question: who are at-risk students and why are higher test scores considered to be a bad consequence of the program?
    At-risk students are students who have not done well in school and seem to have little hope of doing well in the future.

I think that you may have mis-copied the sentence (I cannot find it by Googling); perhaps they were critics of those who objected to the program.

It is those in favor of this sort of program, which is being tested in a number of schools in the US, who argue that paying students to make good grades provides an incentive for them to work hard and study. They say that the success of the programs will be evident in the students' higher scores on tests assessing their knowledge.

The critics of these programs feel that students should be encouraged to learn for the sake of becoming educated people and should not be paid to study.

dec-sev

Russian
    I think that you may have mis-copied the sentence (I cannot find it by Googling)
    Yes, it´s a typo. The correct word is "critics". And the article is from a maganizine. That´s why you haven´t found it in internet.
    We don't know without the full context what the "critics" are criticizing. The critics may point out a positive aspect of a program that they otherwise find to be bad (which may explain why the "however" is there).
    The article is rather short and I´m afraid I can´t provide you with more context. As I´ve already said that everything that precedes that sentence is about the program, how it works (pupils who have good attendance records and get good grades are rewarded) and the advantages of the program (money is supposed to encourage pupils to study better). Nothing has been criticiezed so far. And than there comes this "at-risk" sentence. As far as I understand "critics" are those who criticise the program. In other words giving pupils money for good grades. The sentence that goes after the "at-risk" one sounds logical: critics fear that pupils will study for the sake of money rather than for the sake of knowledge. Giving children knowledge is the main purpose of the school after all. But I don´t see much logic in the sentence I aksed about. What is bad in at-risk students getting high scores? My only guess is that the author hasn´t managed to express his idea clear enough and I can´t get it what his idea is.
    Thanks for the replies.

< Previous | Next >