projection?

< Previous | Next >

hyperslow

Polish
hello there,

When we go the theater the whole show is called a performance.
When we go to the cimena ..... Is it a projection?
I'm telling you, that movie is just fantabulous! It's being projected everywhere.
After the movie had finished he exclaimed: What a projection it was!!!

Does it add up?
cheers

• entangledbank

English - South-East England
    No, definitely not. It's a good show, and it's shown everywhere. Projection is only the technical process of sending light from the projector onto the screen.

e2efour

UK English
    We say that a film is being shown or is playing in various places.
    Although the film is or used to be shown by a projectionist, we just say "that was a good film/movie."

hyperslow

Polish
    but we can project pictures onto the wall, can't we? and we need a projector to show our pictures from the Sunday outing. (to throw them onto the wall - not literally but in a more relaxed way of speaking). I'm experimenting with words so be patient, please.

Gwan

New Zealand, English
    I agree, it sounds very bizarre, as though you have a particular interest in the mechanics of projecting a film and you think this particular cinema has done a very good job of it.

Entangledbank and e2efour's suggestions are the best for the context you've given, but just in case you might need a specific word to describe the "showing" of a film, 'screening' works in the sense of 'there will be a special screening of A Clockwork Orange in the town square at 5 pm'. You wouldn't say 'what a great screening' or 'its being screened everywhere' though.

And yes, you the word 'project' is appropriate when you're actually talking about the process (projecting images onto the wall/screen etc.) it's just in general people don't really think/care too much about the projection that's happening when they go to see a film, they discuss the story or the action or whatever.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >