prom night

simonaj

italian, Italy
One person is on the 6th grade, then how old is she? And what does "prom night" mean?

• carneybj

English USA
    6th graders are most often 11 or 12 years old
    Prom night refers to the night of the school class dance (promenade)

Joelline

American English
    simonaj said:
    One person is on IN the 6th grade, then how old is she? And what does "prom night" mean?

Just a minor correction: IN the 6th grade. :)

Most US students start the first grade when they are 6 years old. So most 6th graders would be 12 years old.

Joelline

American English
    In the US, prom night originally was the dance for graduating high school students. However, nowadays, even students in the 3rd grade have "proms." I think it's to make the little ones think they're doing something "grown-up."

eac

USA, English
    In the United States, the graduating senior class (i.e. 12th grade) has a big dance at the end of the year called the "prom" which is short for "promenade." Occasionally, the junior class (11th grade) will have its own scaled down prom. Although it comes around the same time as graduation, and is thought to be a rite of passage similar to graduation, it is different from the actual graduation ceremony.

eac

USA, English
    Joelline said:
    In the US, prom night originally was the dance for graduating high school students. However, nowadays, even students in the 3rd grade have "proms." I think it's to make the little ones think they're doing something "grown-up."

I have never heard of any class other than the juniors and seniors having a prom, but I believe you.

Joelline

American English
    This is a phenomenon that that crept into the grade schools in my neighborhood in the last 10-15 years. When asked why the schools would use "prom" rather than "class dance," the superintendant of schools said that it was to remove some of the anxiety that high school students have about proms by "desensitizing them" at an early age! ! ! ! :rolleyes: