promettre du clitoris

absrat

English - English
Could someone please explain this phrase to me?
Context: "La caméra d'or de Cannes 2016 promettait du clitoris, une belle énergie et la naissance de jeunes talents."

Thanks!

• jetset

French
    Du film Divines :
    "le film nous livre des répliques déjà cultes telles qu’un inoubliable « Toi, t’as du clitoris ! » lancé par la chef de bande pour saluer le courage de Dounia." => to have guts

Esperluète

French - France
    @ Itisi. With a clever wording of the sentence, yes, it should be obvious with the context (this "avoir du clitoris" was used in response to the non-stop use in French of "avoir des couilles", "mettre ses couilles sur la table" etc.). Whoever coined that phrase ("avoir du clitoris" - "promettre du clitoris is merely a spin-off; I remember hearing the very popular ex Canal Plus female presenter Daphné Burki use it recently on telly) wanted to express the need for women to be ballsy.

Kelly B

USA English
    If the text doesn't require a reference to that particular film and quotation, I'd find steel ovaries more idiomatic in US English.

Kelly B

USA English
    Perhaps so; but I've actually heard ovaries used in contexts like this, whereas clitoris just sounds odd to me.

< Previous | Next >