promoción (militar)

EliTrans

English - USA
I've seen a lot of threads about the meaning of "promoción" but none seems to fit the context I'm working in...

In regard to a "promoción" within the army, would it be like a "company"?

The only context I can provide is from a dialog in a script where a military officer is getting interrogated:

"¿Era Ud. el jefe de esa promoción?"

Gracias de antemano!

• GundisalvusVitalis

English - US; Español - Perú
    Hi, @EliTrans,

Given the lack of context and assuming the officer graduated from a military academy, I would suggest translating promoción as graduating class. Another word that could be used to render promoción is cohort, but not in this context.

¿Era Ud. el jefe de esa promoción?

Were you the leader* of that graduating class?

(*) "leader of the graduating class".
    1. ANNAPOLIS HONORS NEW YORK STUDENT; Seven Prizes Are Presented to Jack A. Obermeyer, Leader of the Graduating Class (Published 1937)
    2. IGTNT: Four More Lost To Those Who Love Them

Good luck!

EliTrans

English - USA
    I can't provide much more detail due to the confidentiality agreement with my client, but this dialog appears at the very beginning of a movie in which we don't know much about what's going on. All we know is that an officer from the Soviet Union is interrogating a Spanish army officer being held captive.

I honestly don't think "graduating class" makes sense in this context, since I would use that specifically in reference to a group of military officers when they graduate from a military academy, but I don't think that's the use in this case. My question is could the word "promoción" in this context have the same meaning as "company"?? My impression is that that's what they are referring to...

Company (military unit): A company is a military unit, typically consisting of 80–250 soldiers and usually commanded by a major or a captain. Most companies are formed of three to six or seven platoons, although the exact number may vary by country, unit type, and structure.

Company (military unit) - Wikipedia.

Kaoss

Spanish-Spain
    En general (no pun intended...) en el ejército cuando se habla de promoción, se refiere al conjunto de oficiales que se graduaron en la academia en un año concreto. No había oído lo de "jefe de la promoción" pero sí de que alguien era el primero de su promoción, como el que se graduó con más nota (y por tanto es el más capaz o el mejor de ese año). Nunca lo había escuchado como jefe de una compañía (o brigada, regimiento o similar).

La promoción a la que se pertenece es importante porque determina la antigüedad y por tanto el acceso a determinados puestos y rangos. O para comparar la carrera de un oficial, si sus compañeros de promoción están en puestos de rango más bajo es que ha tenido una carrera brillante...

EliTrans

English - USA
    De acuerdo, pues ya estoy hecha un lío porque tampoco entiendo el sentido de "jefe" de una promoción como has explicado... preguntaré al guionista a qué se refiere porque no me llega a convencer "head of the graduating class" ni qué relevancia tendría años más tarde estando en la Unión Soviética... :confused:

Gracias por las aportaciones!

GundisalvusVitalis

English - US; Español - Perú
    If the story is set in a historical context, I can only imagine two possible scenarios: the Spanish Civil War (a Nationalist officer captured by Soviet troops allied with the Republicans) or World War II (a member of the Blue Division captured by Soviet troops on the Eastern Front). If it is a fictitious story about, for example, a Soviet intelligence officer interrogating an ex-Spanish Army officer in some other armed conflict or geopolitical context, the interrogator might be trying to find out the officer's full military background, in which case the person's time in a military academy would matter.

My question is could the word "promoción" in this context have the same meaning as "company"?? --- No, unless the text is referring to a "company of cadets", but then again, without more context, who knows?

If you eventually find an equivalent, it would be useful (and appropriate) to share it and explain, otherwise you'll leave this thread hanging and other forum-goers will waste their time reading this. :thumbsup:

Good luck!

LVRBC

English-US, standard and medical
    If you are stuck for a translation and wish to be non-specific, you could say "Are you in charge of this outfit?" However, this is obviously not a translation for promoción, just a suggestion for your particular situation, offered in sympathy as a fellow-translator.

EliTrans

English - USA
    Not to keep y'all in suspense....

I finally got the answer (much later in the script) when the character introduces himself as:
    "Capitán XXXX, cuarta promoción de pilotos de la Escuela de XXXX"

So I guess that resolves the issue! It's referring to promoción as graduating class.

@LVRBC that's an awesome suggestion regardless;)

If the story is set in a historical context, I can only imagine two possible scenarios: the Spanish Civil War (a Nationalist officer captured by Soviet troops allied with the Republicans) or World War II (a member of the Blue Division captured by Soviet troops on the Eastern Front). If it is a fictitious story about, for example, a Soviet intelligence officer interrogating an ex-Spanish Army officer in some other armed conflict or geopolitical context, the interrogator might be trying to find out the officer's full military background, in which case the person's time in a military academy would matter.

If you eventually find an equivalent, it would be useful (and appropriate) to share it and explain, otherwise you'll leave this thread hanging and other forum-goers will waste their time reading this. :thumbsup:

Good luck!
    Right on the money! It's "a fictitious story about...a Soviet intelligence officer interrogating an ex-Spanish Army officer"...during..."World War II (a member of the Blue Division captured by Soviet troops on the Eastern Front)."
    👍

Thanks for all your contributions! I love this place ✌️

EliTrans

English - USA