promoting climate change

< Previous | Next >

brian&me

Chinese - China
Nowadays, Plant-for-the-Planet is a worldwide movement promoting climate change and global justice. It has already planted over 12 billion trees in 100 countries.

(from an English textbook for junior high school students in China, published by Pearson Education and Beijing Normal University Press)

Nowadays, I think when people talk about ‘climate change’, they mean the becoming worse of the climate on Earth. So, what does ‘promote climate change’ mean? To make the climate become worse and worse? I don’t think the writer means that, but does his writing mean it?

Many thanks in advance.

• PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Plant-for-the-Planet is a worldwide movement promoting climate change :cross: to promote - to advocate.
    Plant-for-the-Planet is a worldwide movement promoting the awareness/seriousness/problem, etc., of climate change :thumbsup:

grassy

Polish
    I agree it's odd but it's clear it means "promoting the idea that climate change is a serious thing and that we should do something about it".

brian&me

Chinese - China
    Thanks, friends.
    promoting the awareness/seriousness/problem, etc., of climate change :thumbsup:
    Hi, PaulQ. Do you mean all of these three are correct?
    1. promoting the awareness of climate change;
    2. promoting the seriousness of climate change;
    3. promoting the problem of climate change.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    Personally, I would not have used "promoting" as this usually is a positive thing and, as climate change is a negative thing, I would have said "Raising awareness of the problems of climate change and promoting global justice.

Hildy1

English - US and Canada
    I agree that "promoting climate change" is wrong, and means the opposite of what the author probably meant to say.

f you really want to use "promote", you could say "promoting education about climate change" or "promoting awareness of climate change".

brian&me

Chinese - China
    I agree that "promoting climate change" is wrong, and means the opposite of what the author probably meant to say.

f you really want to use "promote", you could say "promoting education about climate change" or "promoting awareness of climate change".
    Thanks, Hildy.
    I wonder if it's necessary to add an 'the' before 'awareness of climate change', or if an 'the' is optional.

< Previous | Next >