Promulgate/ enact

uncleted

italian
Hi

I was wondering if these two verbs can be used as synonyms, or if there are any specific collocations for each word. Plus, are there any other words that can be used with a similar meaning?

Thanks

I'm sorry I couldn't provide any context but there simply isn't any

• boozer

Bulgarian
    They probably could be used as synonyms, but the meaning is not exactly the same for me.

You enact something in your capacity as a legislative body when you vote it.

You promulgate something when you make it publicly known...

Loob

English UK
    No, they're not synonyms, uncleted: they have completely different meanings. Have you checked the WR English dictionary?

london calling

UK English
    You can check that out in any decent dictionary (they are very often not synonymous). However, if you provide us with sentences which use the verbs (i.e. put them in context) we can taske a look.

uncleted

italian
    This is what is confusing me:

January 1852 the new Constitution was promulgated/ enacted.

Last edited:

london calling

UK English
    You cannot say 'promulgate a law into effect': you put a law into effect or you promulgate a law (which means put a law into effect). And if you enact a bill (or whatever) it becomes law.

uncleted

italian
    I'n sorry but I made a mistake when writing my message. So, first of all Parliament might promulgate a law then the Government will enact it, right?

boozer

Bulgarian
    II think you need to understand that different legislative bodies enact laws in different ways - a parliament would vote a bill to make it a law, a king would simply sign it and make it a law. All depends on the legislative system. However, once enacted, a law cannot become effective, normally, until it is promulgated, I.e. until it is brought to the knowledge of the population that is supposed to abide by it or uphold it. This process of making the law known consists in promulgating it...

Edit: you had me look up the verb 'clete' in dictionaries, Uncle Ted, uncleted :D

Last edited:

Parla

Member Emeritus
    English - US
    Can you tell us where you found the sentence you gave us? And perhaps provide two or three sentences before it? (You're permitted to quote as many as four sentences.)

uncleted

italian
    II think you need to understand that different legislative bodies enact laws in different ways - a parliament would vote a bill to make it a law, a king would simply sign it and make it a law. All depends on the legislative system. However, once enacted, a law cannot become effective, normally, until it is promulgated, I.e. until it is brought to the knowledge of the population that is supposed to abide by it or uphold it. This process of making the law known consists in promulgating it...

Edit: you had me look up the verb 'clete' in dictionaries, Uncle Ted, uncleted :D
    Your explanation is very clear Boozer. Thanks for your help all of you.

< Previous | Next >