pronounced (as) ...

< Previous | Next >

HSS

Standard Japanese, Sendaian Japanese
Both with 'as' and without it, the sentences below sound okay to me. Do they to you?

[1] Llan in Welsh is pronounced roughly as thlan.
[2] Llan in Welsh is pronounced roughly thlan.
[3] Llan in Welsh is pronounced roughly as /θlan/.
[4] Llan in Welsh is pronounced roughly /θlan/.

• EStjarn

Spanish
    Yes, they sound okay to me too. But after examining them more carefully, I have some doubt.

In sentences such as

Here, r is not pronounced as a distinct letter.

AND

Both a's are pronounced as in the word 'man'.

the meaning and function of 'as' is quite apparent; the sentences would be ungrammatical without it.

But in the topic sentences, what does 'as' mean and what function does it perform? If 'as' meant 'like', then 'thlan' would be a word in its own right rather than a phonetic transcription, i.e.,

Llan is pronounced roughly as thlan [is pronounced].

Otherwise, it would seem 'as', if not incorrect, is redundant in the topic sentences.

KennyHun

Hungarian
    Any second opinions on this? (pronounce something something vs. pronounce something as something when you're not making a comparison with another word a sound is a part of e.g. "it is pronounced as in XY", see the examples below)

They pronounce it as /g/. / They pronounce it /g/. / It's pronounced /g/. / It's pronounced as /g/.

It is pronounced Ahmed.
    It is pronounced as Ahmed.

kentix

English - U.S.
    This is the change I would make:

[1] Llan in Welsh is pronounced roughly as thlan.
    [2] Llan in Welsh is pronounced, roughly, thlan.

Wynn Mathieson

English - United Kingdom
    Not to mention that Welsh llan is, of course, not pronounced (even roughly!) like /θlan/ (thlan)! :)

If you want a rough approximation, it's pronounced (in the nearest that English phonemes can get to it) as /hlan/.

< Previous | Next >