Pronounciation of 家

< Previous | Next >

q_006

US and English
So in this sentence, ゆうむら家の3人は、半年前にこの家を購入し、転居してきた。
この家を is pronounced as "kono yo" as opposed to "kono ie o".
And this phrase, あんたは一人でこの家から学校に通っている。
この家 is pronounced as "kono ye" as opposed to "kono ie".
So my question is, is this normal pronounciation for 家 when Japanese people talk normally/colloquially?

Note: sentence from Noir the anime, Episode 1.

• Ocham

Japanese
    この家 is without exception pronounced as "kono ie." I don't know where "kono yo" or "kono ye" came from.

この家を:kono ie wo
    この家から:kono ie kara

Last edited:

q_006

US and English
    Well that's what I thought. Granted the character that said it, was speaking fast. However, I thought ...maybe... that verbally it was similar to how 言う is pronounced "i u" or "yu". Maybe it was the speed at which the character said it.

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    I don't know where "kono yo" or "kono ye" came from.
    In fast speech, 家を (ie o) can sound like "yo", and 家 (ie) can sound like "ye", especially to learners' ear.

Flaminius

coclea mod
    日本語 / japāniski / יפנית
    I'd say that [jo] (< ie o) and [je] (< ie) is preceded by a very short . So, the [j] sound is a linking element between two vowels. In fast speech, I grant that the /i/ is reduced to a mere glottal stop or completely removed ([ije] > [ʔje] > [je]).

Since a lot of native Japanese speakers don't tell between [je] and [e], they are best treated as allophones of /e/ within the Japanese phonological framework.

I haven't realised the reduction of /ie o/ to [jo] myself but it must consist of a similar process as above and merger of /e/ and /o/.

Edit:
    It is noteworthy that ie has a time-old allomorph ya. This is only used as a bound morpheme in Modern Japanese but was once an independent noun.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >