pronouns

< Previous | Next >

puroyduro

English, USA
i read somewhere that when you use pronouns (in spanish) they come before the verb unless it's a question but i was reading a book (the author was puerto rican) and it had the pronouns after the verb even when it wasn't a question... can anyone explain to me where you're supposed to put pronouns?

• Anteoja

Español/Chile
    It is just to emphasize the action, to give a different rithm to the sentence. When speaking, we usually say "yo estaba llegando.." "el vino a mi casa", "Ella bebió el licor"

You may see the other way in poems, books, or when someone is telling a story...
    " Estaba yo llegando..."
    "Vino él a mi casa"
    "Bebió ella el licor"

This is in Chile. I think it is more common to say the other way in other countries...Maybe someone else can help us with that. :)

Ana_Fi

Spain - Spanish
    Yes, the natural order of the phrase can be changed to emphasize something...
    Specially, the first structure Anteoja gave you is very common when you're explaining something:
    Estaba yo llegando cuando me lo encontré.
    Iba yo en el tren cuando...

Outsider

Portuguese (Portugal)
    puroyduro said:
    i read somewhere that when you use pronouns (in spanish) they come before the verb unless it's a question but i was reading a book (the author was puerto rican) and it had the pronouns after the verb even when it wasn't a question... can anyone explain to me where you're supposed to put pronouns?
    I can't really agree with that rule. There are lots of exceptions to it:

- subject pronouns may be placed after the verb. This is especially common with intransitive verbs (see the examples given by the previous posters).
    - object pronouns may be placed after the verb in certain tenses (the infinitive, the gerund, and the imperative).
    - with prepositional verbs, object pronouns come in the sequence verb + preposition + pronoun.

< Previous | Next >