pronto-atendimento

gg371

English - UK
Hello everyone,

I am translating a medical insurance document from Portuguese to English and there is a section discussing cases in which patient transfers will not be covered by the insurance company.

It says that the transportation will not be covered when the origin is not a "unidade hospitalar ou serviço de pronto-atendimento". I am not sure what the English equivalent of a serviço de pronto-atendimento would be - I assume it is either an A&E unit, or a walk-in clinic but I am not sure how the system works in Portugal. Could anybody clarify?

• Carfer

Portuguese - Portugal
    'Serviço de pronto-atendimento' não me parece uma expressão que se use em Portugal, é provavelmente brasileira. Parece equivaler aos nossos 'serviços de urgência' (urgent care).

gg371

English - UK
    Interesting, I believed the text was from Portugal but perhaps not. Thanks for the answer!

Ari RT

Português - Brasil
    It depends on what we mean by walk-in clinic. Emergency clinics are usually walk-in (the patient does not have to have a previous appointment), but not all walk-in clinics are staffed with physicians. Some may be focused on aesthetics, vaccination etc.
    I believe that what the insurance company means is that they will pay for the transportation between medical facilities, provided the patient is already under medical care. If the patient has been admitted at a hospital or an emergency service, than he/she is under the insurance umbrella. Otherwise not. Having a heart stroke at home or at a vaccination center is the same. Find your way to the hospital.
    Some insurance companies will provide an emergency service at home or elsewhere (and even air ambulance to fetch you in Farfarawayland and take you to a proper hospital), at an extra cost. If this emergency service states that you need a hospital, the insurance company will drive you there, as they are already taking care of you.

< Previous | Next >