Pronunciation: далеко

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
Hi!

Wiktionary says that the pronunciation of далеко is [dəlʲɪˈko], but it seems to me that it is pronounced [dɪlʲɪˈko] / [delʲɪˈko] in the corresponding audio, ie the unstressed "a" sounds [ɪ] / [e] (I am not sure which). I hear the same in Forvo. As a comparison, the unstressed "a" in кошка sound very different to me. Am I mistaken?

Thanks in advance!

Last edited:
  • Awwal12

Russian
    "o" in those 2 words sound [e]/[ɪ] to me, just as the "a" in далеко. This is weird because I can clearly hear [ə] in the unstressed "a" of кошка, as I have mentioned before.
    I supposed as much. Apparently you hear [ə] naturally shifting slightly closer to [i] before palatalized consonants - sufficiently to cross your border between different perceptional clusters.

Alan Evangelista

Brazilian Portuguese
    Apparently you hear [ə] naturally shifting slightly closer to [ i ] before palatalized consonants - sufficiently to cross your border between different perceptional clusters.[/i]
    That makes sense, although I can hear "ə" in the first unstressed "a" of "каню́к" (a random word I found).

FYI I have played the Wiktionary audio of this word to several Brazilian friends and they understood the same sound that I did, so it seems it is not a personal hearing limitation, but rather regional.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >