Pronunciation: 一个 / 四个

Discussion in '中文+方言 (Chinese)' started by piano0011, Oct 31, 2016.

1. piano0011 Senior Member

Hokkien
    hey guys!

I am trying to understand the rule here and from my understanding, the default tone for yi ge is yi4 ge 4 but when you two fourth tones, you must change the first tone to a second tone. Does this apply for other words such as si4 ge4? Should this be si2 ge4? I am assuming that this only applies for yi2 ge4?

2. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

一 (one) is the only digit character that you need to adjust the tone according to the one next to it.
    The rule is:

yi4+tone 1/2/3
    yi2+tone 4
    yi1: if it means "number one" (such as "the first", or in a serial of phone number): always yi1, regardless the next tone.

3. piano0011 Senior Member

Hokkien
    So just to confirm that si4ge4 is correct and it shouldn't be si2 ge4? thanks!

4. fyl Senior Member

Mandarin Chinese
    Yes. That only applies to 一. Take a look at this for the tone sandhis in Mandarin (mostly only these: consecutive 3rd tones, 一 and 不. There do exist others but those are kinda optional).

5. Youngfun

Youngfun Senior Member

Bắc Kinh
    Wu Chinese & Italian
    I've never noticed before, but I say si4ge0 but yi2ge4 in isolation (yi2ge0 only is some other word is following)

6. SuperXW

SuperXW Senior Member

I don't think it matters too much. yi2ge0 in isolation is also natural to me.
    When two 4th tones are uttered together, and the second character plays a minor role, we (Northerners) usually won't start the second pitch as high as the 1st one.