Pronunciation: 卷

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently reading the following sentence on the internet: 眼见闻风而动的人们来往穿梭,差不多把一排排货架都给搬空了,我也风卷残云般扫了一遍,付钱,装车,满载而归。 (Source: yuntai_文学城博客)

Does anyone know how to pronounce 卷 here? (and what does it mean?)

Thanks!

• yuechu

Canada, English
    OK! Thanks, Corner1912! :)
    Would the corresponding 繁体字 be 捲? (I ask because 卷 and 捲 have merged in 简体字)

Last edited:

annoyingpotato

Chinese
    I didn't know the 繁体字 of 卷. But I adjusted my input(I don't know the right word in English) from 简体 to 繁体 and typed 风卷残云 and I get 風捲殘雲. Haven't you tried that before?

yuechu

Canada, English
    I didn't know the 繁体字 of 卷. But I adjusted my input(I don't know the right word in English) from 简体 to 繁体 and typed 风卷残云 and I get 風捲殘雲. Haven't you tried that before?
    Oh, you're right. I could've done that! I wasn't sure if it would be 100% accurate though because I think the IME (input method editor, 输入法) I use is based on 简体字 and not 繁体字...

Thank you both! :)

yuechu

Canada, English
    大家好!

There is a Chinese song I like a lot called《卷珠帘》but I'm unsure of how to pronounce the first character. Would anyone know if 卷 is pronounced juǎn or juàn here?
    Thanks!

SuperXW

大家好!

There is a Chinese song I like a lot called《卷珠帘》but I'm unsure of how to pronounce the first character. Would anyone know if 卷 is pronounced juǎn or juàn here?
    Thanks!
    卷 (traditional 捲) juan3 verb, to roll up, to furl
    卷珠簾 furling the bead curtain

卷 juan4 noun / measure word, roll, scroll (of book)

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    It is noteworthy that '卷' and '捲' both can be verbs, but '捲' is transitive. (For example, we wouldn't write '內頁整個了起來'. Notice the component '手' and you will see.)

Last edited:

SuperXW

It is noteworthy that '卷' and '捲' both can be verbs, but '捲' is transitive. (For example, we wouldn't write '內頁整個了起來'. Notice the component '手' and you will see.)
    Oh, I didn't realize that. Could you please explain more about the different between the verbs?

Last edited:

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    '', presumably, is a derivative of '', so the character '' applies whenever the other character does, but its derivative is favourable. For example, we usually write '髮神器'. (Note, however, most of us prefer '大波浪'. We tend to use '' as a verb.)

Last edited: