Pronunciation: 只 (name)

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
Hello,

I saw a news article today about a man named "张译只". Would anyone know if this character should be pronounced zhi3 or zhi1 in a person's name? (or if both pronunciations are possible?)
Thanks/谢谢!

• Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    Although the "correct" pronunciation is ultimately decided by the name holder, I intuitively would read 只 as zhi3 in a personal name (Zhi3 is a surname by the way, e.g., 只好仁 of the Ming Dynasty).
    Since you said you saw it in a news article, I did a google search and found "张译只过建军节李晨晾女友忙捞金". The person's name is actually 张译, not 张译只. The 只 in that headline is an adverb modifying the subsequent verbal phrase 过建军节. I don't know if that is the same article you were referring to. I bring it up just in case.

SuperXW

Although no way to define the "correct" pronunciation, I will automatically say zhang1yi4zhi3, since zhang1 yi1zhi1 would sound like: 张一只! (Think about animals, 猪一头, 鸟一只...:D)

Wait! It's 张译 只过建军节, not 张译只?

yuechu

Canada, English
    Oh, it looks like I parsed the sentence wrong :eek: (and I believe that was the article) Thanks for the correction, Skatinginbc!

Last edited:

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    It's a good thread and Skatinginbc did a good job :).
    This is one of the problems non-native speakers keep coming up against.
    (By the way, there is another name in the title, baosheng can have a go and tell us where the name ends. It's another chance for practising :D)

< Previous | Next >