Pronunciation: 尽快

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently looking up 尽快 in the dictionary and noticed that there are both the pronunciations jin3kuai4 and jin4kuai4. Are both of these pronunciations correct? Which one is more common, would you say?
Thanks!

• Phoebe_Teng

Mandarin, Cantonese
    Hi,

Both 【jǐn】 and 【jìn】 are available.

For 【jǐn】, used as a adv. For example, 尽早,尽可能,尽管. Usually put it before adjective, means try to be possible/ to be in the range of some extent.
    尽早:as early as possible,
    尽可能: try to make it possible

For 【jìn】,used as a verb. For example, 尽力,尽心,尽职. Usually put it before noun, means to be in superlative degree.
    尽力/尽心: try your best;
    用尽:run out of ;
    想尽办法: try all the methods ;
    路的尽头: the end of the road

For 尽快, in my opinion, both pronunciation are available. When it's 【jìn】, tone is much stronger that 【jǐn】. We use 【jìn】commonly.

fyl

Mandarin Chinese
    Both jin3 and jin4 can be heard in life, and I think jin3 is more often.

I think only jin3 is the correct pronunciation. In 现代汉语词典, "尽快" is marked as jin3kuai4. And I don't think any meaning of 尽jin4 can fit in 尽快.

The confusion came from the simplification of Chinese characters. 儘jin3 and 盡jin4 were simplified to the same character 尽(jin3 and jin4).

SuperXW

Both jin3 and jin4 can be heard in life, and I think jin3 is more often.
    The confusion came from the simplification of Chinese characters. 儘jin3 and 盡jin4 were simplified to the same character 尽(jin3 and jin4).
    In my experience, jin4 is a bit more often.
    I always think this differentiation is unnecessarily complicate. Even for the traditional characters, the difference between 盡 and 儘 is very vague. I consider combining them a good thing, I'd rather merge their tones into one.
    For 【jǐn】, used as a adv. For example, 尽早,尽可能,尽管. Usually put it before adjective, means try to be possible/ to be in the range of some extent.
    尽早:as early as possible,
    尽可能: try to make it possible

For 【jìn】,used as a verb. For example, 尽力,尽心,尽职. Usually put it before noun, means to be in superlative degree.
    尽力/尽心: try your best;
    用尽:run out of ;
    想尽办法: try all the methods ;
    路的尽头: the end of the road

For 尽快, in my opinion, both pronunciation are available. When it's 【jìn】, tone is much stronger that 【jǐn】. We use 【jìn】commonly.
    This is why I think it's unnecessarily complicate and vague.
    How does 尽 in 用尽, 想尽, work as a verb? Aren't they adverbs?
    Isn't 尽 in 尽头 a noun or an adjective?

In 汉典,
    儘(jin3)'s meanings include: 1.极;2.力求达到最大限度。
    盡(jin4)'s meaning include: 2. 到达极端;3.全部用出,竭力做到;4.都,全。
    Aren't they all too similar? By this definition, can you tell whether it should be jin4量 or jin3量?

If we use your definition, it would be jin4量, but 汉典 says jin3. I really don't think this differentiation is necessary.

fyl

Mandarin Chinese
    In 汉典,
    儘(jin3)'s meanings include: 1.极;2.力求达到最大限度。
    盡(jin4)'s meaning include: 2. 到达极端;3.全部用出,竭力做到;4.都,全。
    Aren't they all too similar? By this definition, can you tell whether it should be jin4量 or jin3量?

If we use your definition, it would be jin4量, but 汉典 says jin3. I really don't think this differentiation is necessary.
    I agree that jin3 and jin4 are often exchangeable in life. But strictly speaking, the distinction does exist.

For the first meaning '极, 最' of jin3, 汉典 has given an example: 尽底下. This phrase is dialectal, and it exists in my dialect, and it means 最底下. For this meaning, there is no possibility to say jin4. jin4底下 simply does not make sense. So let's forget about this meaning.

For the second meaning '力求达到最大限度', it is quite different from the meanings of jin4 too, although the explanations look similar. The major difference is '力求'. Maybe it's easier to explain this using the word 尽量. In fact, both jin3量 and jin4量 exist, but their meanings are different:
    jin3量=力求达到最大量, e.g. 写文章要尽量简明一些.
    jin4量=尽其量 (尽 as in 尽其所能, 物尽其用), e.g. 喝了半斤白酒,还没尽量.
    (The two example sentences are from 现代汉语词典)

I agree that the distinction is not so clear in many materials, e.g. the webpage 汉典 gives both jin3量 and jin4量 but fails to convince me their differences. The definitions in 现汉 are much clearer.

Last edited:

Mamanunique

Cantonese-China
    I personally think jin4(尽) is a strong way to say something ,jin3(尽) is weaker.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >