Pronunciation: 横浜/横滨

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好,

I was wondering what the pronunciation is of the Japanese City Yokohama is (横浜/横滨). Some dictionaries say "Heng2Bin1" and some say "Heng2Bang1". Are they both correct pronunciations? Which one is more standard?

谢谢!

• xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    I was wondering what the pronunciation is of the Japanese City Yokohama is (横浜/横滨). Some dictionaries say "Heng2Bin1" and some say "Heng2Bang1". Are they both correct pronunciations? Which one is more standard?
    You've got "Heng2Bang1" because there is an incorrect character for Yokohama in "横浜". With the correct characters (横滨), the pronunciation should be "Heng2Bin1".

Edit: The problem seems to be because of Microsoft: I tried typing "Yokohama" and Microsoft gave me the incorrect set.

Last edited:

yuechu

Canada, English
    Thank you both for your answers! CEDICT says 横浜 Heng2bang1 for Yokohama, but there seem to be quite a few errors in these electronic dictionaries.. (the downloadable ones, not the websites)

I think it may indeed be a mistake!

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    OK, I've found the source of the problem now:

The 2nd character in Yokohama in its traditional form is .
    Then, Japanese simplified it as and Chinese simplified it as . But since both 浜 and exist in Chinese as two separate characters and from this the problem arises: If in Chinese, Yokohama should be written as 横滨 but in Japanese it is 横 浜. So, when you try to read the Japanese form 横 浜 in Chinese, 浜 represents a different character and therefore a different pronunciation (Bang1).

It's complicated! :)

Jerry Chan

Cantonese, Hokkien
    Great find, xiaolijie.

浜 as a Chinese character means a creek.
    沙家浜 for example, was one of the 'model operas' during the Cultural Revolution.

< Previous | Next >