Pronunciation: 陈更

< Previous | Next >

yuechu

Canada, English
大家好!

I was recently reading a Chinese magazine, and they were talking about someone whose name is 陈更. (A girl, I think. Does it sound like a girl's name?)
I was wondering, how do you pronounce the character 更 when it is part of someone's name? Should it be gēng or gèng? (or are both possible?)
Thanks! :)

• retrogradedwithwind

Chinese
    一声。

有些女性的名字,非常中性化甚至男性化。在汉语里,女人的名字不一定就要女性化的。(中性化的名字,我是指男女都可用的名字。女性化的名字,我是指通过名字就可以判断是女性。)

SuperXW

陈更 sounds neutral, or maybe a bit more like a male's name.
    It reads geng1.
    When a character with multiple pronunciations appears in a name, we sometimes tend to read the uncommon pronunciation (such as geng1), in order to avoid confusion with a common word.
    e.g.
    陈更geng1更geng4加自然,这样可以避免人名(陈更)和常用词(更加)混淆。
    李天一yi1一yi4直受到外界关注。

UNLESS we can find some meaning or connection within the characters of name, like a word with a good idea or good image.
    e.g.
    张乐le4天, not 张乐yue4天(乐le4天 means opptimistic. yue4 mean music.)
    陈长chang2空kong1, not 陈长zhang3空kong4(Both 长 and 空 have multiple pronunciations. But 长chang2空kong1 means "the vast sky". 长zhang3 means "to grow", 空kong4 means "blank, idel" etc. We will naturally choose "the vast sky" but not "to grow blank".)

By the way, a male celebrity's name is 林更geng1新. (更geng1新 means "to renew or revive".)

Last edited:

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    someone whose name is 陈更.
    The most likely pronunciation is geng1.
    the name reminds me of the word '晨更'. And we have an old saying which goes 三更燈火五更雞
    The dialect I speak has an alternative pronunciation for 更, namely, jing1 (as in 三更 jing1 半夜) for the context you provided.

三更半夜:
    《宋史·趙昌言傳》:“四人者(i.e., 陳象輿,胡旦,董儼,梁灝)日夕會昌言第。京師為之語曰:' geng1 or jing1,董半夜'。

Shazhudao945

Chinese - Mainland China
    我来自中国江苏, 在我小时候(80年代~2000年) 更是作为一个多音字存在的,(geng 1 geng 4 jing1), 不过据说最近几年国家对字典进行了很多改编,很多字/诗词里面常用字的生僻读音被替代成常用的读音/误读了

例如 : 远上寒山石径斜 我上小学的时候, 这里的斜应该读 xia2,但是最近被改成读xie2了。
    更好像也是,据说 三更半夜 统一只保留 geng1 了 。 手边没有最新的新华字典,不然可以帮你查下

SimonTsai

Taiwanese Mandarin
    The pronunciation (jing 1) for '更' as in '三更燈火五更雞' is still alive here.

But for '晨更', I am genuinely unsure if (jing 1) is possible, maybe because the word is uncommon.

Skatinginbc

Mandarin 國語
    for '晨更', I am genuinely unsure if (jing 1) is possible
    My personal pronunciation habits are:
    打更jing1, 報更jing1, 更jing1鑼, 熬更jing1守夜, 守更jing1待歲, jing1也稱為“晨興xing1”.(當然,上述各詞的"更" 照現在字典的規範, 均讀 geng1)

However, 到教堂來 "晨更" geng1 (verb) 的 "更" 是更新變化的意思。晨更 geng1 (also written as 晨耕 geng1) 就是晨修, 晨禱的意思.

陳更 (name) 的 "更" 很可能是更 geng1 新變化的意思.

Last edited:

Shazhudao945

Chinese - Mainland China
    My personal pronunciation habits are:
    打更jing1, 報更jing1, 更jing1鑼, 熬更jing1守夜, 守更jing1待歲, jing1也稱為“晨興xing1”.(當然,上述各詞的"更" 照現在字典的規範, 均讀 geng1)

However, 到教堂來 "晨更" geng1 (verb) 的 "更" 是更新變化的意思。晨更 geng1 (also written as 晨耕 geng1) 就是晨修, 晨禱的意思.

陳更 (name) 的 "更" 很可能是更 geng1 新變化的意思.
    I believe what you say. How 更 is pronounced depends on what her/his parents wish with the character (if they wish her to keep improving, then maybe Geng4, if they wish her to be a brand new generation with a brand new soul, then maybe Geng1. Anyway, we have not contact to her/his parents).

< Previous | Next >