Pronunciation: 音乐 / 录音 (yin)

< Previous | Next >

licinio

Italian
音乐 vs 录音

Do Mandarin speakers insert a semi-vowel sound before the yin in luyin to help tie it to a preceding vowel?

This semivowel sound should not be present in the yin of yinyue, although the Pinyin spelling may suggest such a pronunciation.

• Ghabi

Cantonese
    音乐 vs 录音

Do Mandarin speakers insert a semi-vowel sound before the yin in luyin to help tie it to a preceding vowel?
    I'm not sure I get it ... Why do we need a glide before yin?

This semivowel sound should not be present in the yin of yinyue, although the Pinyin spelling may suggest such a pronunciation.
    What does it suggest?

licinio

Italian
    Well, the y at the beginning of the Pinyin spelling may induce the foreign learner to pronounce a semi-vowel. I know it's just a spelling convention, but I was wondering if you do pronounce a semi-consonant glide between the vowels of i.e. 录音 and have /lu yin/ as a sort of diphthong, rather than /lu in/ as a hiatus.

xiaolijie

UK
    English (UK)
    At the beginning of a word (such as 音乐), 音 can be pronounced as /yin/ or /in/. They're free variations, and I think (but not absolutely sure :)) it may be the same when 音 is in the middle of a word (such as 录音).

Last edited:

dcyy

Chinese
    chinese as a language is soft and conservative, we do not make sounds that take too much emergy to pronounce. Hence, no"y" in Lu yin

No semivowel is there. I'm pretty sure.

Usually Chinese speaker would insert a Glottal stop/ʔ/(slightly) before each syllable. It sometimes makes Chinese sound "hard".

xi'an /ɕiʔan/ 西安
    xiyan /ɕiʔian/ 吸烟
    xian /ɕiɛn/ 仙

This is also true at the beginning of a sentence
    yi /ʔi/ 衣
    an /ʔan/ 安
    yan /ʔiɛn/ 烟
    wan /ʔuan/ 弯
    yuan /ʔyɛn/ 冤

The /ʔ/ before /a/ /e/ are very conspicuous.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >