Pronunciation: 2010 (year)

< Previous | Next >

anialuo

Polish
Hi,

New year is coming, I was wondering how to say 2010,2011 and so on in Chinese...
2010 Would it be: 二零一零?(or ‘yao‘ meaning one- by the way- what is the Chinese character for the YAO - 'one'?)
2011 would we say 二零一一???
Thanks for your help!

• Geysere

Chinese - China
    "er ling yi ling" or "er ling yao ling" are both OK.
    But it seems to me that when "1" is at the beginning we only say "yi". e.g. 1982 ~ "yi jiu ba er" not "yao jiu ba er"

Day Dreamer

Canadian English
    yao is usually used in places like the militery to avoid the confusion of yi (1) or qi (7) as they sound similar when spoken quickly.

I was tought "er ling yi ling" is correct but "er ling yao ling" is not okay, generally. Nor is "yao jiu ba er"

I think Yao is just a 白讀音(the pronunciation common people use), 一 is 文讀音 (Intellectual/educated used). 白讀音 is hard to manage, because only words are very frequently used can only read in 白讀音. Mandarin trends to use 文讀音 instead 白讀音, so you don't need to learn this.
    Some 白讀音 you have to know:
    字 文 白
    一 i1 iao1(sometimes written in 幺)
    六 liu4 lu/lou
    伯 buo2 ba/bie/bai
    血 xue4 xie3/xue3
    剝 bo1 bao2
    薄 bo1 bao2
    削 xue1 xiao1
    爪 zhua3 zhao3
    给 ji3 gei3*
    壳 qiao4 ke2*
    露 lu4 lou4
    色 se4 shai3
    鈅 yue4 yao4(only used in 鈅匙)
    角 jue2 jiao3*
    覺 jue2 jiao3(jiao3 is the same as jue2, jiao4 is another meaning.)
    落 luo4 lao4

When there is a *, you should pronounce this sound rather than 文讀.
    Always sounds mentioned above is still common used. The meanings are exactly the same.

1982 : I read i jiou ba er, But yao jiou ba er is also ok.
    2010 : I read er lieng i lieng, er lieng yao lieng is ok.
    2001 : I read er lieng lieng i, er lieng lieng yao is seldom heard.
    And shanghainese don't say er for 2, they prefer liang兩。兩千一零年 is also used.
    So don't learn this. People in different place have different accent. In my dialect, 柏/百 六/陸/綠 have the same sound. I always use xue3/xie3 for 血。

Last edited:

BODYholic

Chinese Cantonese
    yao is usually used in places like the militery to avoid the confusion of yi (1) or qi (7) as they sound similar when spoken quickly.
    You are right but not limited to the military. In Singapore, the lottery announcement over radio uses 幺(yao1) in lieu of 一 (yi1) for the same reason as stated.
    2010 : I read er lieng i lieng, er lieng yao lieng is ok.
    2001 : I read er lieng lieng i, er lieng lieng yao is seldom heard.
    The HYPY for 零 should be ling2. Your 'accent' sounds like you are from Northern China!? :)

Last edited by a moderator:
    The HYPY for 零 should be ling2. Your 'accent' sounds like you are from Northern China!?
    Don't be fooled by the PinYin.
    ing is just a short hand. More eg.
    ü vs iu,
    o vs uo vs ue, ong vs ueng, iong vs iuong,
    iu vs iou,
    in vs ien, ing vs ieng, un vs uen, ün vs üen vs iuen
    ui vs uei

a is pronunced [ɑ] in “ang ao”, [a] in “ai an”, [ɛ] in ian uan üan.
    e is pronunced [ɤ], but [ɛ] in “ie üe” [ə] for any -en -eng and light e。
    o is exactly ue.

y is the same as i. w is the same as u.
    yuan = iuan = üan. yan = ian.

If you pronounce for both ing and in, the northerns may be confused.
    And Mandarin y w are exactly the same as i u, unlike Cantonese and English [j] [w].
    My Cantonese friends can't make [ə] sound. Their “a” in “a an ang” are exactly the same.

By the way, How do Cantonese pronounce “幺”? yat? yiu1?

Strictly speaking, 洞幺兩 is not 白讀音, it's a 訓讀音. But you don't need to manage it.
    Just a joke.
    90:洞妖洞妖,我是狗洞,我是狗洞。
    01:狗洞狗洞,我是洞妖。你在哪裏?
    90:我是狗洞。我在兩狗左冀。呼叫兩狗。
    29:旺?旺?

Last edited:

BODYholic

Chinese Cantonese
    Don't be fooled by the PinYin.
    ing is just a short hand.
    Well, like it or not there are millions of people being 'fooled' by the shorthand. It is the common standard that taught and written world wide.

Thanks for taking the trouble to explain. Still, the orthodox pinyin for 零 should be ling2.

windhair

Chinese - Mandarin
    As I know, when people talk about year, they never say "一" as 'yao', but 'yi'. 'yao' occurs mostly when people talk about the telephone number.

< Previous | Next >