pronunciation "b/p"

< Previous | Next >

summeroamer

china chinese
Hi all

I always have trouble differentiating the pronunciations of "b" and "p". It seems to me that in certain words, "p" is pronounced just like its English counterpart, like in "plus" "pour" "puis"...But when it comes to "pain", I always mishear it as "bain":( . Could someone give me some tips on this??

Thanks!!

• timpeac

English (England)
    summeroamer said:
    Hi all

I always have trouble in differentiating the pronunciations of "b" and "p". It seems to me that in certain words, "p" is pronounced just like its English counterpart, like in "plus" "pour" "puis"...But when it comes to "pain", I always mishear it as "bain":( . Could someone give me some tips on this??

Thanks!!
    I think that in fact the French pronunciation of "pain" does sound like what a English person might think of as "bain" (so perhpas the same is true for Chinese speakers). But if you compare the French pronunciation of "pain" and "bain" they are different from each other. I think the French give much more "voice" to the "b" of "bain" than the English do to "ban" (the vocal cords vibrate more).

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to listen to the French pronunciation words which are the same apart from the initial p-b until your ear becomes accustomed to the difference.

summeroamer

china chinese
    timpeac said:
    I think that in fact the French pronunciation of "pain" does sound like what a English person might think of as "bain" (so perhpas the same is true for Chinese speakers). But if you compare the French pronunciation of "pain" and "bain" they are different from each other. I think the French give much more "voice" to the "b" of "bain" than the English do to "ban" (the vocal cords vibrate more).

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to listen to the French pronunciation words which are the same apart from the initial p-b until your ear becomes accustomed to the difference.
    Thank you..Hope I could make it..Sometimes I even doubt that the native French speakers could really tell the difference easily.:D

< Previous | Next >