pronunciation: BBQ -- bee bee cue [=barbecue]

< Previous | Next >
  • mikichan

Chinese
    Thank you, Copyright. I think I've heard of a restaurant where they serve barbecue (barbecued foods) that is called "BBQ (bi bi que). I googled to find out but there are many restaurants in NY with the letters "BBQ" in it, so I was wondering if it's a common way to read the letters as bi bi que in some occasions such as names of restaurants. Maybe it's just that one restaurant in NY.

Egmont

English - U.S.
    In the U.S., the abbreviation "BBQ" is common in writing. However, in my experience, it's usually not pronounced that way. In speech, people say "barbecue" in full. They're both three short syllables.

sandpiperlily

I agree that the word is usually pronounced in full, but I've definitely heard it said "bee bee cue." I doubt a restaurant would have that as their official pronunciation, but people might say it when referring to a restaurant, the genre of food, or the event (a party where food is grilled outdoors or BBQ is served depending on the region).

Egmont

English - U.S.
    ... in my experience, it's usually not pronounced that way...
    ... I've definitely heard it said "bee bee cue."...
    Perhaps we see the effect of regional differences within the U.S. here. The U.S. is a large country, almost exactly the same area as China, though with fewer people. Just as you find differences in this sort of thing from one part of China to another, we often see them in the U.S. as well.

My conclusion, so far: Saying "barbecue" in full is acceptable everywhere. Saying the letters is acceptable in some areas but will sound strange in others.

Last edited:
    < Previous | Next >