Pronunciation: bouquet

Hela

Tunisia - French
Dear teachers,

Would you please tell me how you pronounce the word "bouquet" in British English ? Is it :

a) /bu'kei/ (short /u/ + stress on the 2nd syllable)
b) /'bukei/
c) /bu:'kei/
d) /'bu:kei/ (long /u/ + stress on the 1st syllable)
e) /'bəukei/ (diphthong + stress on the 1st syllable)

Many thanks,
Hela

PS: Is there an online dictionary where I can hear the pronunciation of words?

• Song Sprite

English, Canada
    Phonetically it's "bow-KAY". (emphasis on the second syllable)

The "ou" in "bou" sounds like the "o" in "no", "so", and "go";

the "ei" sound in "quet" sounds like "gay", "weigh", "brake", "shake", and "make".

Erm, that's Canadian English. But I think it's the same as BE.

JamesM

Both pronunciations are used here in California - "bow-kay" and "boo-kay". both with the accent on the second syllable.

You can hear pronunciations of the word here .

I also learned of this site through this forum. It's great for hearing entire phrases in multiple accents and languages.

Lora44

England, English
    I say 'boo-kay'.

Actually, on reflection, I might say either. 'Boo-kay' is what entered my head first, but I think 'bow-kay' is often heard too.

Hela

Tunisia - French
    Hello River,

On the site you have just mentioned, can you actually hear the word "bouquet"? If yes, where please? I couldn't find it.

See you

Lora44

England, English
    I'm with Lora on this - now how can a young Brummie and a old Paddy have a matching pronunciation? Weird!
    Hehe! Well I'm not a Brummie :p but I am from the Midlands. I reckon most people from around here would say 'bow-kay' but I'm a French student and have a strange habit of pronouncing some words with French pronunciation, as though I'm saying the French word with an English accent.

< Previous | Next >