Pronunciation: Celt

< Previous | Next >

Thomas1

polszczyzna warszawska
Hello, :)

I've read lately that the pronunciation of this word varies. I'd like to know how you pronunce this word in your variety of English (native-English speakers' posts are most appreciated :)). I'm interested in your enunciation of this word and of its all possible derivatives that you can think of (e.g. Celtic--I'm curious if the pronunciation of the root changes) in relation to its meaning and/or use.

Thank you in advance,
Tom

• modus.irrealis

English, Canada
    I pronounce it with a k sound in all cases (I can think of) except when it has to do with the basketball team, the Boston Celtics, where it's with an s sound.

panjandrum

Lapsed Moderator
    English-Ireland (top end)
    I've not come across Celt pronounced Selt - always Kelt.

Celtic, on the other hand, is pronounced Seltic for the football teams, Keltic otherwise.

CLICK HERE for a fascinating article on this topic.The author suggests that the sports teams are holding out while academia leads the charge for change:D

JamesM

modus.irrealis said:
    I pronounce it with a k sound in all cases (I can think of) except when it has to do with the basketball team, the Boston Celtics, where it's with an s sound.
    I do the same. I'm not sure how the "Seltics" got that pronunciation, but it has stuck. :)

m bell

Banned
    English - UK
    I spoke to a student of Celtic languages at an American university recently. He assured me that the only place "Celtic" is pronounced "Seltic" is when referring to the Boston Celtics. :)

pops91710

English, AE
    I spoke to a student of Celtic languages at an American university recently. He assured me that the only place "Celtic" is pronounced "Seltic" is when referring to the Boston Celtics. :)
    I have heard the same. A friend from England said he had never heard of it said Seltic. I watch a LOT of BBC and it is always Keltic in their scripts.

PaulQ

UK
    English - England
    :D The currently unusual pronunciation is explained in Panjandrum's #3 - when the clubs were formed, the "Seltic" version was in favour.

kentix

English - U.S.
    And also keep in mind that for some people 95+ % of the time they see that word is in a sports context. So what is the more common pronunciation, really?:D

Last edited:

JamesM

And also keep in mind that for some people 95+ % of the time they see that word is in a sports context. So what is that more common pronunciation, really?:D
    Good question. Many fantasy online or board game players would know it as "Keltic". How many of those are there? People interested in runes would also say "Keltic". Someone who has studied history would probably pronounce it as "Keltic".

It might be difficult to determine which is truly more common.

< Previous | Next >