pronunciation: clock, walk, talk, sock

Discussion in 'English Only' started by heidita, May 30, 2007.

1. heidita Banned

Madrid, Spain
    Germany (German, English, Spanish)
    In your opinion : do all these words rhyme with "stalk"?

I was surprised to see this affirmation by a native English speaker:

I claimed: clock =sock walk,talk= stalk (the vowel sound in clock and sock is shorter).

2. joannainglesa Member

Birmingham
    English, England
    Hi, they certainly don't rhyme when said with a English accent, but I can hear in my head that they might rhyme in a North American accent, but I suppose that depends on the regional accent too - maybe a AE speaker could help us out?

3. looking-at-the-stars Senior Member

California, USA
    American English
    Indeed, when I say them they all rhyme. I'm pretty sure that's true for AE in general, though someone from another region may feel differently.

4. panjandrum

panjandrum Occasional Moderator

Belfast, Ireland
    English-Ireland (top end)
    For this peripheral BE speaker, walk, talk and stalk have the same vowel sounds.

So do clock and sock (not the same as walk etc).

5. jennball Senior Member

USA English
    In the midwestern U.S., clock, walk and sock rhyme, and talk rhymes with stalk, just as Heidita claimed. In the south, I believe walk is different and rhymes with stalk.

6. JamesM

JamesM Senior Member

That's my understanding as well. I pronounce them in a way that they all rhyme.

7. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    In my part of the AE speaking world, walk and talk and stalk rhyme. Clock, sock, chock rhyme with one another, but do not rhyme with walk, talk or stalk. The first batch have an 'aw' sound, as in crawl, while the latter group
    have an 'ah' vowel sound, as with top. In the Midwest, they sound pretty much alike.

8. rodoke Senior Member

Illinois, USA
    en-US; .us
    I'm from the Midwest, and I've never heard anyone pronounce them differently from you.

9. cuchuflete

cuchuflete Senior Member

Maine, EEUU
    EEUU-inglés
    Hmmmm....

I was born in the Midwest, and have spent more than a little time there. I probably exaggerated by saying that they all sound alike in that region. It might be more accurate to say that the distinctions
    are less marked than in the Northeast. There are, of course, quite a few Midwestern accents...<backpedaling grimace>

10. evilregis Senior Member

English, Canada
    For me (Southern Ontario, Canada), they all rhyme. Walk, talk, stalk, clock sock chock, stock, chalk, etc.

But at the same time, I could imagine them sounding different from each other in some other Canadian accents.